Today Top Current Affairs 8 & 9 August 2021
8th August 2021 Read Daily GK Update, Daily GK, Current Affairs for Bank Exam – Daily Current Affairs 9th August 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related govt exams, covering the top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News and International Current News.
Dr. Virendra Kumar launches ‘PM-DAKSH’ Portal and ‘PM-DAKSH’ Mobile App
The Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment Dr. Virendra Kumar has launched the ‘PM-DAKSH’ Portal and ‘PM-DAKSH’ Mobile App. the main aim of the portal is to make the skill development schemes accessible to the target groups. ‘PM-DAKSH’ Portal and ‘PM-DAKSH’ Mobile App have been developed by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, in collaboration with NeGD.
- It stands for Pradhan Mantri Dakshta Aur Kushalta Sampann Hitgrahi (PM-DAKSH) Yojana.
- The Pradhan Mantri Dakshta Aur Kushalta Sampann Hitgrahi (PM-DAKSH) Yojana is being implemented by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment from the year 2020-21. PM- DAKSH Portal can be accessed at http://pmdaksh.dosje.gov.in and ‘PM-DAKSH’ Mobile App is available in Google play store.
DRDO Organises 2nd IEEE International Conference on Range Technology
On 5th August 2021, The Secretary, Department of Defence R&D, and Chairman DRDO Dr G Satheesh Reddy have inaugurated The 2nd Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) International Conference on Range Technology (ICORT-2021). the conference was organized by Integrated Test Range (ITR) Chandipur, a laboratory of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
- The speakers from across the globe will present their technological achievements in multiple subjects related to Tests and Evaluation of defence systems.
- Former Scientific Advisor to Raksha Mantri Dr Avinash Chander was the Chief Guest.
About DRDO –
- Founded: 1958
- Headquarters: DRDO Bhavan, New Delhi
Rajiv Gauba gets One-Year Extension as Cabinet Secretary
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has taken a decision to extend the term of service of Rajiv Gauba, as the Cabinet Secretary of India, for a further period of one year.
- His term of service was going to be ended on August 30, 2021.
- Rajiv Gauba is a 1982-batch IAS officer of Jharkhand cadre,
- He was appointed to the top bureaucratic post of the country in August 2019 for two years.
- Along with it, he has also served as Union Home Secretary from August 2017 to August 2019.
- He was Born in Punjab, Gauba had graduated in Physics from Patna University.
Dhriti Banerjee: 1st woman Director of Zoological Survey of India (ZSI)
Dr. Dhriti Banerjee has been elected as the first woman Director of the Zoological Survey of India (ZSI). Banerjee is a prolific scientist and had been doing research in zoogeography, taxonomy, morphology, and molecular systematics. after her appointment, She will assume the post of Director of Zoological Survey of India (ZSI).
- Banerjee has also served as the co-ordinator of ZSI’s Digital Sequence Information Project, since 2012.
- Dhriti Banerjee has also mentioned that women scientists in ZSI had been organizing regular surveys by examining faunal diversity from the Himalayas to the deep sea. almost 60% of the new species have been discovered by women scientists.
RBI Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged at 4% in MPC meet August 2021
The Reserve Bank of India has announced to keep the Repo Rate unchanged. this decision was taken after the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) meeting which was held between August 04 to August 06, 2021.
- Also, the bank has kept the real GDP growth for India unchanged at 9.5% in 2021-22.
RBI Policy Rates & Reserve Ratios
|2.||Reverse Repo Rate||3.35%|
|3.||Marginal Standing Facility Rate||4.25%|
India-UAE Navy conducts a bilateral exercise ‘Zayed Talwar 2021’ off coast Abu Dhabi
On 7th August 2021, the bilateral naval exercise ‘Zayed Talwar 2021’ was held between the Indian Navy and UAE Navy. the main objective of the ‘Zayed Talwar 2021’ exercise is to enhance interoperability and synergy between the two navies.
- INS Kochi of the Indian Navy joined the exercise with two integral Sea King MK 42B helicopters, deployed in the Persian Gulf. and from the UAE side, UAES AL – Dhafra, a Baynunah class guided missile corvette and one AS – 565B Panther helicopter participated in the exercise.
Bajrang Punia wins bronze in Tokyo 2020
on 7th August 2021, Wrestler Bajrang Punia has won the bronze medal at Tokyo 2020 by beating Daulet Niyazbekov of Kazakhstan in the repechage round at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics.
- Bajrang Punia becomes the 6th athlete who has received the medal for India. he won the men’s 65kg bronze medal match and defeated Daulet Niyazbekov of Kazakhstan in the repechage round at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics.
- 27-year-old Bajrang won this match in a 8-0 the scoreline and dominated the bout from start to finish.
Neeraj Chopra won Gold in Men’s Javelin Throw at Tokyo Olympics 2020, wins India’s 1st gold at Tokyo 2020
Indian javelin thrower Neeraj Chopra won a historic gold medal in men’s javelin throw at the Tokyo 2020 Games. Chopra threw his javelin 87.58m in his second attempt.
- This is the 1st gold medal for the country and 7th medal overall at the Tokyo Olympics 2020.
- He becomes the 2nd Indian who has won a gold medal in Olympics, after Abhinav Bindra, who received gold in the 10-meter air rifle event at the 2008 Summer Olympics at Beijing, China.
- Neeraj also dedicated his gold medal to Milkha Singh.
India’s Olympian footballer SS ‘Babu’ Narayan passes away at 86
Former Indian footballer Subramaniam Sankar Narayan has passed away at the age of 86. he has played in the 1956 and 1960 Olympics.
- He was called S. S. “Babu” Narayan.
- He has played as a goalkeeper and represented the country at the 1956 (Melbourne) and 1960 (Rome) Olympic Games.
- He was born in the Palakkad district in Kerala.
- he made his appearances for Matunga Students, Matunga Gymkhana, Caltex, and Tata Sports Club.
- Narayan became the part of Maharashtra’s Santosh Trophy-winning campaign in 1964.
International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples 2021
International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples is observed on 9th August every year. this day aims to protect the rights of the indigenous population. also, this day recognizes the achievements and contributions that indigenous people make to improve world issues such as environmental protection.
- The theme for 2021 is “Leaving no one behind: Indigenous peoples and the call for a new social contract.” it focuses on the distinct elements which should be considered while building and redesigning a fresh social contract inclusive of indigenous peoples.
National Handloom Day 2021
Every year, National Handloom Day is celebrated on 7th August to raise awareness about the Handloom Industry amongst the public at large and its contribution to socio-economic development. in 2021, people are celebrating the 7th National Handloom Day. This day also recognizes the contribution of India’s handloom weavers, from Kanjivaram to Pashmina.
- In 2015, Prime Minister Narendra Modi organized The first National Handloom Day at the Centenary Hall of Madras University, Chennai. the main objective of this day was to create awareness about handlooms in India.
- On this day, the Swadeshi Movement was launched in the Calcutta Town hall to protest against the partition of Bengal by the British Government in the year 1905.
Quit India Movement Day: Know about August Kranti in 1942
The day of 8th August is observed as Quit India Day every year to commemorate the anniversary of the Quit India Movement. this day is also known as August Kranti Day. on 8th August 1942. Father of Nation, Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi launched Quit India Movement at the All-India Congress Committee session in Bombay. The Quit India Movement is also known as the Bharat Chhodo Andolan. In 2021, Indians are celebrating the 79th anniversary of Quit India Day.
- The main objective of this movement was to end British rule in India. Since the protest was conducted by freedom fighters in August. to pay tribute to freedom fighters who laid their lives for the nation, the celebrations are held every year in India.