Today Top Current Affairs 17 August 2021
17 August 2021 Daily GK Update, Current Affairs for Bank Exam – Daily Current Affairs 17 August 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related govt exams, covering the top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News and International Current News.
Venkaiah Naidu unveils foundation stone of Innovation and Development Centre at JNCASR Bengaluru
On August 16th, 2021, Indian Vice President Shri M Venkaiah Naidu has laid the foundation stone of the Innovation and Development Centre of Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR), Bengaluru.
- The JNCASR Innovation and Development Centre is to be developed into a facility where laboratory inventions will be taken forward for scale-up and technology transfer.
- The Centre will be developed under the missions of “Make in India” and “Aatmanirbhar Bharat”.
Narendra Singh Tomar inaugurates the world’s second-largest refurbished gene bank in New Delhi
On August 16th, 2021, Union Minister for Agriculture and Farmers Welfare Shri Narendra Singh Tomar inaugurated the world’s second-largest refurbished state-of-the-art National Gene Bank at the National Bureau of Plant Genetic Resources (NBPGR), Pusa, New Delhi.
- It will help in the conservation of the diversity of indigenous crops in the country.
- It will also benefit the farmers by making them self-reliant and providing a source of increasing their income.
- The National Gene Bank was established in the year 1996 in order to preserve the seeds of Plant Genetic Resources (PGR) for future generations,
- It has the capacity to preserve about one million germplasm in the form of seeds.
AIIMS Delhi becomes first Indian hospital to house fire station inside premises
The All India Institute of Medical Science (AIIMS), Delhi, has become the first hospital in India to house a fire station inside the hospital premises.
- In order to house a fire station, AIIMS has partnered with Delhi Fire Service (DFS).
- The hospital will have its infrastructure including the fire tender, equipment, and manpower which will be managed by the DFS.
List of 144 gallantry awards announced on 75th Independence Day
President Shri Ram Nath Kovind has approved 144 Gallantry awards to Armed Forces, police, and paramilitary personnel on the eve of Independence Day 2021. These include one (1) Ashok Chakra, one (1) Kirti Chakra, 15 Shaurya Chakras, four Bar to Sena Medals (Gallantry), 116 Sena Medals (Gallantry), five (5) Nao Sena Medals (Gallantry), and two (2) Vayu Sena Medals (Gallantry).
Ashok Chakra List
- ASI Babu Ram, J&K Police (Posthumous)
Shaurya Chakra Award
- Maj Arun Kumar Pandey, Rajput, 44 Rr
- Maj Ravi Kumar Chaudhary, Grenadiers, 55 Rr
- Capt Ashutosh Kumar, 18 Madras (Posthumous)
- Capt Vikas Khatri, Mech Inf, 16 Rr
- Rfn Mukesh Kumar, Raj Rif, 9 Rr
- Sep Neeraj Ahlawat, Jat, 34 Rr
- Captain Sachin Reuben Sequeira – Navy
- Group Captain Perminder Antil (26686) Flying (Pilot) – Air Force
- Wing Commander Varun Singh (27987) Flying (Pilot) – Air Force
- Chitesh Kumar, Deputy Commandant, Crpf
- Manjinder Singh, Sub Inspector, Crpf
- Sunil Choudhary, Constable, Crpf
- Debasis Sethy, Commando, Odisha Police (Posthumous)
- Sudhir Kumar Tudu, Commando, Odisha Police (Posthumous)
- Shahbaz Ahmad, Special Police Officer, J&k Police (Posthumous)
RuPay launches campaign to encourage contactless payments
RuPay has launched a strategic campaign that aims to promote and encourage contactless payments among customers. The aim of this campaign is to make merchants and consumers aware of the benefits of using contactless payments during these unprecedented situations.
- #FollowPaymentDistancing campaign will help in encouraging consumers to begin payment distancing and switch to contactless digital payments with RuPay Contactless Cards.
- It will keep all safety norms for social distancing in the mind.
KreditBee launches a New Age Card named KreditBee Card
KreditBee has launched a new card for new India named ‘KreditBee Card’. to launch the card, KreditBee has partnered with RuPay and RBL Bank.
- The KreditBee Card’ offers the unserved and underserved banking customers, quick and secured access to short-term liquidity with multiple repayment options.
- It will eliminate the need to avail a separate loan.
- KreditBee Card is a credit-line backed prepaid card for the end consumer, where the amount is loaded into the KreditBee card account once the user sends a purchase or drawdown request.
- The Cardholders can avail credit limit of up to ₹ 10,000 that can be repaid within a single billing cycle
Mohammad Azam gets National Youth Award
Mohammad Azam has been honored with the National Youth Award for the year 2017-18 by the Union Youth Affairs and Sports Minister Anurag Singh Thakur in Delhi for displaying exemplary leadership qualities. Mohammad Azam hails from the Karimnagar district in Telangana.
- He is pursuing a Ph.D. in English Literature from Kakatiya University under the guidance of Professor R Meghana Rao.
- He is also actively taking part in social service activities for the past 8 years.
- Apart from this, he organized various awareness programmes for blood donation, organ donation and plantation programmes under the Haritha Haram project.
Former U-19 World Cup-winner Unmukt Chand retires from India cricket
Former U-19 World Cup-winning captain Unmukt Chand has announced his retirement from Indian cricket. He will likely play the United States T20 League and the BCCI does not allow its registered players to compete in foreign T20 leagues.
- He is a right-handed batsman and off-break bowler.
- He was the Captain of the Indian U-19 Team that won the 2012 U-19 World Cup against Australia.
- He played in 67 First-Class matches, 120 List A matches,and 77 T20s.
- He also has represented Mumbai Indians, Delhi Capitals, and Rajasthan Royals during the IPL career and played domestic cricket for Delhi and Uttarakhand teams.
Pune-based Harshit Raja becomes 69th Chess Grandmaster of India
The 20-year-old Chess player Harshit Raja has become the 69th Grandmaster of India in Chess. Harshit hails from Pune, Maharashtra.
- On August 3rd, 2021, he achieved the feat of being the GM (Grandmaster ) at Biel Masters Open 2021 where he played draw against Dennis Wagner to get his final GM norm with one round to spare.
About Harshit Raj
- In 2014, he has silver in the U-13 National Chess Championship in Jamshedpur and won gold in the SGFI Nationals held in Tamil Nadu the same year.
- In 2015, He represented India in World Youth Chess Championship U-14 in Greece.
- In Pune, he was awarded ‘Best Upcoming Player’ in Maharashtra Chess League.
World Archery Youth Championships: India Begs 15 medals
India has finished Archery Youth World Championships 2021 with a record haul of 15 medals including eight gold at Wroclaw in Poland.
- Under-18 world champion Komalika Bari won the junior title in the Archery Youth World Championships and has become the second Indian after Deepika Kumari to achieve the feat.
- Komalika begged two gold medals including one with Parth Salunkhe in junior mixed team.
- Indian archers won two gold and three bronze medals in the recurve under-18 section.
- The men’s team beat their French rivals 5-3, on contrast, the mixed pair followed suit with a 6-2 win over Japan.
- India won three (3) bronze medals in the women’s team, individual and men’s individual events for a perfect show by the U-18 (cadet) archers.
Puducherry celebrates its De Jure Transfer day
The Union Territory of Puducherry has celebrated its 60th De Jure Transfer day on August 16th, 2021. Speaker of the Puducherry Assembly, R. Selvam, paid floral tributes at the memorial erected in Kizhur, a remote hamlet in Puducherry, where the transfer of power took place on the same day in 1962.
- In 1954, Puducherry became free de facto and the Treaty of Cession was signed between the French and Indian governments to the de jure transfer of the French establishments to the Indian Union in 1962.
1st World Prediabetes Day on 14 August
The day of 14th August is observed as World Prediabetes Day in order to raise awareness about Prediabetes and flatten the curve of diabetes, renowned experts & doctors in the field of Endocrinology & Diabetology.
- The day was selected 90 days ahead of Diabetes day, (November 14).
- To reverse Prediabetes and prevent progression to diabetes, it takes 90 days scientifically to mend the lifestyle.