Today Top Current Affairs 5 May 2021
Daily Current Affairs 5 May 2021: This article consists of the latest top current affairs for 5 May 2021 that are essential for all competitive exams such as Bank, SSC, IBPS, SBI exams. You can also take our Current Affairs Quiz after studying our Today current affairs.
Goldman Sachs cuts India’s GDP growth forecast to 11.1% in FY22
Goldman Sachs has downgraded India’s GDP growth rate to 11.1 percent in the fiscal year FY22 due to COVID-19’s 2nd wave and lockdowns in India.
- Along with it, Goldman Sachs also estimated the 2021 Calendar Year growth forecast to 9.7 percent. prior to this, Goldman predicted 10.5 percent.
Goldman Sachs –
CEO: David M. Solomon
Headquarters: New York, United States
Founders: Marcus Goldman, Samuel Sachs
Mahesh Balasubramanian as MD of Kotak Mahindra Life Insurance
On 1st May 2021, Mahesh Balasubramanian has been elected as the new Managing Director (MD) of Kotak Mahindra Life Insurance Company Limited (KLI).
- Balasubramanian will take place of G Murlidhar and will serve as MD for a period of three years.
- Also, Suresh Agarwal has been posted as MD & CEO of Kotak General Insurance.
Sindhu and Michelle Li as ambassadors for IOC’s ‘Believe in Sport’ campaign
The Badminton World Federation (BWF) has selected India’s shuttler PV Sindhu and Canada’s Michelle Li as athlete ambassadors for the International Olympic Committee’s (IOC) ‘Believe in Sport’ campaign. the main purpose of ‘Believe in Sport’ campaign is to prevent competition manipulation.
‘Believe in Sport’ campaign
- ‘Believe in Sport’ campaign was begun by International Olympic Committee (IOC) in 2018.
- it creates awareness among athletes, coaches, and officials of the threat of competition manipulation.
About International Olympic Committee –
Headquarters: Lausanne, Switzerland
President: Thomas Bach
Founded: 23 June 1894, Paris, France
Founders: Pierre de Coubertin, Demetrios Vikelas
About Badminton World Federation –
Headquarters: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
President: Poul-Erik Høyer Larsen
Founded: 5 July 1934
Former J&K Governor Jagmohan Passes Away at 94
The Governor of Jammu and Kashmir has taken his last breath at the age of 94. he was suffering from a brief illness.
- He has served as Jammu and Kashmir Governor for two terms from 1984 to 1989, and then from January 1990 to May 1990.
- He also worked as Lieutenant Governor of Delhi, Goa, and Daman & Diu
- Along with it, he was appointed as the Union Minister for Urban Development and Tourism in the Atal Bihari Vajpayee government in 1998.
Aeronautical Scientist Manas Bihari Verma Passes Away at 78
The Indian aeronautical scientist, Manas Bihari Verma has passed away at the age of 78. he played an important role in the development of the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) – Tejas.
- He has served as a scientist at the Defence Research Development Organization (DRDO) and worked for almost 35 years in the aeronautical stream.
- He gave the design of the Tejas aircraft mechanical system.
- apart from this, he also led the team that was created to develop Tejas aircraft in the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA).
- in the year 2018, he was honored with Padma Sri for his contribution to developing Tejas aircraft.
Shooter Dadi Chandro Tomar passes away at 89
Shooter Chandro Tomar has taken her last breath at the age of 89. he was suffering from Covid-19 complications. she was also known as ‘Shooter Dadi’.
- She was the oldest female sharpshooter in the world and has won around 30 national competitions.
- Shooter Dadi was from the village of Johri in the Bagpat district of Uttar Pradesh (UP).
International Day of the Midwife 2021
International Day of the Midwife is observed on 5th May by the International Confederation of Midwives (ICM) every year across the world since 1992.
- The main purpose of this day is to create awareness regarding the status of midwives for the essential care they provide to mothers and their newborns.
- The theme for 2021 International Day of the Midwife is “Follow the Data: Invest in Midwives.”
World Hand Hygiene Day 2021
World Hand Hygiene Day is observed on 5th May every year by the World Health Organization (WHO) in the world.
- the main purpose of this day is to create awareness among people across the globe about the importance of hand hygiene in warding off many serious infections.
- it also highlights hand washing as the most effective action that can help us avoid a huge range of infections including the COVID-19 virus.
- The theme for 2021 is ‘Seconds Save Lives: Clean Your Hands’.
World Asthma Day 2021
World Asthma Day is observed on the First Tuesday of May every year across the world since 1998. In 2021, World Asthma Day was celebrated on 4th May.
- The main purpose of this day is to create asthma awareness, care, and support around the world for those people who are affected by asthma.
- Every year, the Global Initiative for Asthma (GINA) conducts this day to spread awareness regarding Asthma.
- The theme for 2021 World Asthma Day is “Uncovering Asthma Misconceptions“.