Today Top Current Affairs 2 August 2021
2 August 2021 Read Daily GK Update, Daily GK, Current Affairs for Bank Exam – Daily Current Affairs 02 August 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related govt exams, covering the top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News and International Current News.
Start Quiz Here: Daily Current Affairs Quiz 2 August 2021
India assumes UNSC presidency for August 2021: maritime, counter-terrorism in focus
On 1st August 2021, India has taken over the presidency of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) for the month of August 2021 from France. As a non-permanent member of the UNSC, it is the first presidency for India during its 2021-22 tenure.
- From 2nd August 2021, The first working day of India’s Presidency will be and Tirumurti will conduct a hybrid press briefing in the UN headquarters on the Council’s programme of work for the month.
About United Nations Security Council (UNSC) –
- Headquarters: New York, United States
- Founded: 24 October 1945
PM Modi to launch digital payment solution e-RUPI on 2nd August
On 2nd August 2021, Prime Minister Narendra Modi will launch a person and purpose-specific digital payment solution named e-RUPI via video conferencing. e-Rupi has been developed by the National Payments Corporation of India on its UPI platform with the help of the Department of Financial Services, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, and National Health Authority.
- e-RUPI is a cashless and contactless instrument for digital payment. It is a QR code or SMS string-based e-Voucher, which is delivered to the mobile of the beneficiaries.
- The users will be able to redeem the voucher without a card, digital payments app, or internet banking access.
- It will connect the sponsors of the services with the beneficiaries in a digital manner.
Sri Lanka all-rounder Isuru Udana retires from international cricket
On 31st July 2021, The left-arm seam bowling all-rounder (Sri Lanka) Isuru Udana has announced his retirement from international cricket with immediate effect, after giving a decade to Cricket.
- He has played only 21 ODIS and 35 T20 Internationals with just 45 wickets to show for his efforts.
- He played his last limited-overs series against India and will continue to play domestic and franchise cricket.
- Also, he represented Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) in the IPL couple of seasons back.
- Udana made his T20I debut in 2009 against Australia at the T20 World Cup in which Sri Lanka lost the final to Pakistan. he played his maiden ODI game came against India in 2012.
Formula One 2021: Esteban Ocon wins chaotic Hungarian GP
France’s Esteban Ocon has the Hungarian Grand Prix 2021. the race was held on August 01, 2021, at the Hungaroring in Mogyoród, Hungary. Esteban Ocon gets his first-ever win through a chaotic Hungarian Grand Prix.
- Followed by Sebastian Vettel (Aston Martin-Mercedes/Germany) and Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes-Great Britain) got the 2nd and 3rd place respectively.
- Hungarian Grand Prix was the 11th round of the 2021 Formula One World Championship.
PV Sindhu Wins Bronze in Badminton at Tokyo Olympics
PV Sindhu has won the women’s singles bronze medal at Tokyo Olympics. in the women’s singles semi-final, Sindhu was defeated by world No. 1 Tai Tzu Ying. PV Sindhu defeated He Bingjiao 21-15, 21-13 in just 53 minutes
- Sindhu has created a history by being the first Indian woman after Mirabai Chanu to win a medal and the only second Indian athlete to win two Olympic medals in individual events.
- Prior to this, She has won the silver in women’s singles badminton at the Rio Olympics in 2016.
- This is India’s second medal at the Tokyo Olympics 2020.
Shri Deepak Das takes charge as new Controller General of Accounts (CGA)
Shri Deepak Das has taken charge as the new Controller General of Accounts and will serve as the 25th officer to hold the position of Controller General of Accounts (CGA). Shri Deepak Das has been elected by the Government of India as the Controller General of Accounts (CGA), Department of Expenditure, Ministry of Finance, with effect from August 1, 2021.
- Shri Das was serving as the Principal Chief Controller of Accounts in the Central Board of Direct Taxes before assuming charge of CGA.