Today Top Current Affairs 17 February 2021
Daily Current Affairs 17 February 2021: This article consists of the latest top current affairs for 17 February 2021 that are essential for all competitive exams such as Bank, SSC, IBPS, SBI exams. You can also take our Current Affairs Quiz after studying our Today current affairs.
Defence Minister launches e-Chhawani Portal
On 16th February 2021, Defence Minister Rajnath Singh launched the e-Chhawani portal.
- The main aim of it is to provide online municipal services to over 20 lakh citizens across 62 Cantonment Boards through a multi-tenancy central platform.
Rajasthan amends Rajasthan Prison Rules 1951
On 2nd February 2021, The state govt of Rajasthan has amended the Rajasthan Prison Rules, 1951.
- the main reason was to do away with the caste-based assignment of labour.
Rajasthan Prison Rules 1951 Amendments
A) Rule 67 under Section 2
- This section is about “cooking of food”. prior to this, “any Brahmin or sufficiently high caste Hindu prisoner from this class is eligible for appointment as a cook”. but, now, “No inmate shall be selected for cooking on the basis of his caste or religion.”
B) Rule 17, Clause (d) of Section 1 in Part 15
- The state govt has removed clause (d) and it explains “any member of a criminal tribe subject to the discretion of the Government”.
C) Rule 13 of Section I of Part 10
- “No tradesman shall be chosen on the basis of his caste or religion.”
China as Largest Trading Partner of European Union
India’s neighbour country China has overtaken the United States and becomes the biggest trading partner of the European Union (EU) in 2020. this data has bee shared by the European Union statistics agency, Eurostat.
- Followed by, the United States and Britain has been as 2nd and 3rd biggest trading partner of the European Union (EU) in 2020
Justice Puligoru Venkata Sanjay Kumar as the Chief Justice of Manipur High Court
On 12th February 2021, Justice Puligoru Venkata Sanjay Kumar is appointed as the Chief Justice of Manipur High Court. his appointment was done by Ramnath Kovind (India President) under clause (1) of Article 217 of the Constitution of India
- Before joining, he has served as Judge in the Punjab and Haryana High Court.
- He served as an Additional Judge of the Andhra Pradesh High Court and later became Permanent Judge.
Dr Ajay Mathur as new Director-General of International Solar Alliance
On 15th February 2021, Dr Ajay Mathur has been appointed as new Director-General of International Solar Alliance.
- he will serve from 15th March 2021.
- Also, he will take place of Upendra Tripathy who worked as Director-General.
Naman Ojha announced retirement from cricket
On 15th February 2021, The Indian Former wicketkeeper-batsman Naman Ojha has decided to take retirement from all forms of cricket.
- He played his ODI debut match against Sri Lanka in 2010 and debuted in International T20I against Zimbabwe.
- Naman is from Madhya Pradesh and he has the record for the most dismissals as a wicketkeeper in the Ranji Trophy
Former Chief Justice M Rama Jois passed away at 88
The former Governor of Bihar and Jharkhand, Justice M. Rama Jois has passed away at the age of 88.
- he was suffering from age-related ailments.
- he served as the Chief Justice of Punjab and Haryana High Court.
Retired Major General BK Mahapatra died at 87
The retired Major General Shri Basant Kumar Mahapatra (Tank Man) has taken his last breath at the age of 87.
- he was the part of major battles such as the 1962 Indo-China war, and 1965 and 1971 India-Pakistan war.
- For hid bravery, he was honoured with the prestigious Ati Vishisht Seva Medal (AVSM).
- He belonged to Bhubaneswar Odisha.
- he was appointed into armoured corps (Tanks) of the Indian Army as a Combat Officer.