Today Current Affairs 24 August 2022 – Current Affairs for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related govt exams, covering the top news, Major Issues, Top 10 Current News of the day, Important events in National Current News, and International Current News.
Vikram Doraiswami appointed to UK as India’s High Commissioner
Vikram K. Doraiswami, a seasoned diplomat was appointed as India’s new High Commissioner to the United Kingdom. currently, Vikram K. Doraiswami is Indian High Commissioner to Bangladesh. Doraiswami is an Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer from the 1992 batch. he will replace Gaitri Issar Kumar, the high commissioner to the United Kingdom, who left her position on June 30.
- In May 1994, Vikram K. Doraiswami was elected as 3rd Secretary of the Indian High Commission in Hong Kong after completing his in-service training in New Delhi between 1992 and 1993.
Rajesh Verma named as Secretary to President Droupadi Murmu
Odisha cadre 1987-batch IAS officer, Rajesh Verma was elected as the Secretary to President Droupadi Murmu. Rajesh Verma will replace the incumbent Kapil Dev Tripathi, a 1980-batch IAS officer. At present, He is serving as Secretary of the Ministry of Corporate Affairs & has also served as principal secretary to Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik.
- he also served as the Principal Secretary to Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik and Principal Secretary of Energy Department, Government of Odisha.
Odia scientist Debasisa Mohanty appointed as Director of NII
Odia scientist, Debasisa Mohanty has been appointed as Director of the National Institute of Immunology (NII). Currently, Debasisa is serving as a staff scientist at NII. His appointment was approved by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet with effect from the date of assumption of charge of the post and up to the age of his superannuation. The post of Director of NII was vacant after Rajesh Verma, Rajesh Verma is a 1987 batch IAS officer of Odisha cadre and was appointed as Secretary to President Droupadi Murmu on August 18th, 2022.
Castler tie-up with Yes Bank for digital escrow services
Global escrow banking solution provider, Castler partners with Yes Bank in order to provide digital escrow services for the bank’s customers. The Castler is a global digital escrow platform for individuals and enterprises, offers domestic and cross-border escrow solutions.
U.K’s Growth -11% In 2020 Worst In 300 Years
Britain’s economy was shrank by a record-breaking 9.9% in 2020, new figures released by the Office of National Statistics which highlights the impact of Covid-19 restrictions, employment uncertainty and reduced demand, with limited growth in the final quarter narrowly avoiding a double-dip recession.
- U.K.’s economic output declined by 9.9% in 2020, the largest annual fall on record said by Office for National Statistics.
- In the last quarter, the economy grew 1% when looser restrictions were imposed and helped the services industry to boost. however, overall output was down 7.8% from the last quarter of 2019.
IREDA and MAHAPREIT sign an MoU to provide loans for green energy projects
The Mahatma Phule Renewable Energy and Infrastructure Technology Ltd. (MAHAPREIT) and the Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency Ltd. (IREDA) signed a memorandum of understanding. MAHAPREIT is a fully owned subsidiary of MPBCDC (49% owned by the Government of India and 51% owned by the Government of Maharashtra).
- IREDA will offer financing options for the renewable energy projects that will be developed for public utilities, local governments, and the infrastructure of renewable energy parks.
- The MoU was signed by The Chairman & Managing Director (CMD) of IREDA, Shri Pradip Kumar Das, and the CMD of MAHAPREIT, Shri Bipin Shrimali.
Adani group targets 55.18% stake in NDTV
Adani group targets a 55.18% stake in NDTV– Adani Group founder, Gautam Adani will acquire a controlling stake of 55.18% in New Delhi Television (NDTV). With a concept to hold a 55.18% stake in NDTV, the Adani group has published an open provide for a 26% stake within the information channel at Rs 294 for a share with a face worth of Rs 4. The complete outlay for 26%, or 16,762,530 totally paid up fairness shares of NDTV – if the provider is received in full – will likely be around Rs 483 crore for the Adani group.
- NDTV Founders: Prannoy Roy, Radhika Roy;
- NDTV Founded: 1988;
- NDTV Headquarters: New Delhi.
HPCL starts its first cow dung based compressed biogas project
HPCL has started using the first of its kind Waste-to-Energy portfolio, using 100 tonnes of dung per day to make biogas, which can be used as vehicle fuel. In a year, the HPCL Compressed Biogas Project is expected to be put into operation. The Indian Govt announced the GOBAR-Dhan plan in April 2018 as a part of the Swachh Bharat Mission’s (Grameen) Biodegradable Waste Management component, which is the framework under which the HPCL Compressed Biogas Project initiative is being developed.
- The Indian government introduced the HPCL Compressed Biogas Project project as a part of the Swachh Bharat Mission’s (Grameen) Biodegradable Waste Management component under the GOBAR-Dhan scheme.
- The HPCL Compressed Biogas Project scheme aims to make improvement cleanliness and produce wealth and energy from organic waste and livestock.
DRDO And Indian Navy Test Indigenous VL-SRSAM Missile
Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Indian Navy successfully flight-tested the indigenously designed and developed Vertical Launch Short Range Surface-to-Air Missile (VL-SRSAM) from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) in Chandipur off the coast of Odisha. The Indigenous VL-SRSAM Missile was carried out from a naval ship against a high-speed unmanned aerial target for demonstration of vertical launch capability.
Defence Minister Hold Meetings In Tashkent
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh arrived in Tashkent on 24th August 2022 and will attend the SCO Defence Ministers Meeting, which will be held on August 24. Rajnath Singh also held a bilateral meeting with Uzbekistan counterpart Lt Gen Bakhodir Kurbanov. During the Annual Meeting, the SCO Member States will focus on defence cooperation and it is expected that a joint communique will be issued after the deliberations.
World Gujarati Language Day 2022: 24 August
Every year, World Gujarati Language Day 2022 is celebrated on 24 August to commemorate the birth anniversary of the great writer of Gujarat ‘Veer Narmad’. ‘Gujarati Diwas’ is celebrated because the poet Narmad was considered to be the creator of the Gujarati language.
- On this day, People pay tribute to the poet who contributed significantly to the speech by also making a new Gujarati dictionary amid extreme tribulations.
- The dictionary includes words of all dialects with their diverse usages.
- Since then, looking at the historic Narmad philosophy, Vishwa Gujarati Diwas is celebrated yearly to dedicate a day to the language and to the Gujarati culture.
******** END ********
★★★★ You Can Also Read ★★★★
|Computer Awareness Quiz Questions Set (Banking)
|Read Daily Current Affairs Topic Wise
|Daily Current Affairs Quiz (Current GK Test)
|Static Gk Quiz Questions and Answers
For all the latest Updates, download PrepareExams App.