Today Top Current Affairs 12 August 2021
12 August 2021 Daily GK Update, Current Affairs for Bank Exam – Daily Current Affairs 12th August 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related govt exams, covering the top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News and International Current News.
PM Modi becomes first Indian PM to Chair a UNSC Debate
PM Narendra Modi has chaired the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) open debate, via video conferencing. with it, PM Modi becomes the first Prime Minister of India to chair a UNSC open debate. India has taken the Presidency of the UNSC for August 2021 from France.
- India will also conduct two more meetings during its presidency,first will be on peacekeeping and second will be on counterterrorism.
PM Modi highlights five principles:
- Free maritime trade sans barriers,
- Peaceful settlement of maritime disputes,
- Combating maritime threats,
- Encouraging responsible maritime connectivity
- Preserving maritime environment and resources
- The theme of the high-level open debate was ‘Enhancing Maritime Security – A Case for International Cooperation.
India to host first Internet Governance Forum in October 2021
India is going to host the first Internet Governance Forum in the country and will be started from 20th October 2021. the 1st Internet Governance Forum will be held for three days.
- The theme is “Inclusive Internet for Digital India”.
- The Internet Governance policy discussion platform will role in bringing representatives together from various groups, considering all at par to discuss public policy issues related to the Internet.
Centre targets to achieve 175 Giga Watt of Renewable Energy capacity excluding large hydro by December 2022
The Govt of India has set a target of achieving 175 GigaWatt of Renewable Energy capacity excluding large hydro by December 2021, said by Minister of New and Renewable Energy and Power R. K. Singh.
- India has installed a total of 98.44 GigaWatt of renewable energy capacity including 1.49 Giga Watt of off-grid and decentralised capacity in the country till 30th June 2021.
PM Modi launches ₹11,000 crore oil palm mission
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched ₹11,000 cr oil palm mission during a virtual event when PM Modi was releasing the 9th installment of income support worth ₹19,500 crores to 9.75 crore farmers under the PM Kisan scheme. the main objective of the mission is to ensure self-sufficiency in edible oil production at a time when India’s dependence on expensive imports has driven retail oil prices to new highs.
- This financial outlay for the National Mission on Edible Oil-Oil Palm (NMEO-OP) will be over a five-year period.
Venkaiah Naidu releases postage stamp on Mananiya Chaman Lal
Vice President of India Shri Venkaiah Naidu has released Commemorative Postage Stamp on ‘Mananiya Chaman Lal’ at a public function at Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Conference Hall, 6, Maulana Azad Road, New Delhi.
- This Commemorative Postage Stamp marks the life & work of Mananiya Chaman Lal.
- Commemorative Postage Stamp is a part of the initiatives of the Department for Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav Programme.
About Mananiya Chaman Lal –
- he was a renowned social worker and Sangh Pracharak.
- He was born on 25th March 1920 in Sialkot(now in Pakistan).
- Mananiya was a Gold Medallist with many lucrative job offers.
- He started fulfilling the basic needs of people who were victims of the partition of the country.
- He made an institutional mechanism for helping the Indians abroad.
Ayushmann Khurrana begins an initiative to protect kids from cyber bullying
Recently, Bollywood actor Ayushmann Khurrana has been appointed as Unicef’s Celebrity Advocate for their global campaign EVAC (Ending Violence Against Children). Ayushmann will role in raising awareness on a national level about online safety for children in India.
- The initiative has been launched by UNICEF India and Facebook jointly in order to end violence against children and protecting their rights.
- The partnership is a powerful example of stakeholders from diverse fields and sectors coming together to protect children and their rights, Ayushmann Khurrana said.
Global Youth Development Index 2020: India at 122nd
The Commonwealth Secretariat in London has released a new Global Youth Development Index 2020 that measures the condition of young people across 181 countries. as per the Index, India has been ranked 122nd place.
- In the Index, Singapore was ranked topmost and followed by Slovenia, Norway, Malta, and Denmark. Chad, the Central African Republic, South Sudan, Afghanistan, and Niger came last respectively.
- Afghanistan, India, Russia, Ethiopia, and Burkina Faso became the top five risers between 2010 and 2018.
About Global Youth Development Index
- The countries are ranked between 0.00 (lowest) and 1.00 (highest) and the index covers the developments in youth education, employment, health, equality and inclusion, peace and security, and political and civic participation.
- The Index has 27 indicators to show the state of the world’s 1.8 billion people between the age of 15 and 29.
DRDO Successfully Test-Fires Nirbhay Missile with Indigenous Engine Off Odisha Coast
On 11th August 2021, DRDO has successfully test-fired medium-range subsonic cruise missile Nirbhay. the test was conducted from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur, off the Odisha coast.
- ITCM Nirbhay missile was equipped with a Made-in-India Manik turbofan engine.
- It was 1st test-firing of the missile with the indigenous booster engine and DRDO successed in it.
Indigenous Technology Cruise Missile (ITCM) Nirbhay
- Nirbhay is an Indigenous Technology Cruise Missile (ITCM), was developed by DRDO.
- it can carry both conventional and nuclear weapons of 200 to 300 kilograms.
- Nirbhay missiles can be fired from multiple platforms.
- The speed of ITCM Nirbhay is 0.7 to 0.9 Mach and 4 to 7 times faster than the speed of sound.
SIDBI unveils “Digital Prayaas” lending platform
Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) launches an app-based digital-lending platform named ‘Digital Prayaas’. the main objective of this is to facilitate loans to entrepreneurs from low-income groups.
- The Digital Prayaas will also role in sanctioning a loan by the end of the day.
- SIDBI has partnered with BigBasket in order to offer loans to its delivery partners for the purchase of e-bikes and e-vans in Urban area.
- the SIDBI-BigBasket initiative will help in making digital footprints to facilitate loans to the borrower’s family members for their own micro-enterprises.
About SIDBI –
- CMD: S Ramann
- Founded: 2nd April 1990
- Headquarters: Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh.
Maharashtra government announces Rajiv Gandhi award for IT sector
The Govt of Maharashtra announces a new award named after the former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi. this award will be distributed for outstanding performance in the Information and Technology (IT) sector.
- The institutes that will give their remarkable work in the field of information technology, will be honored with The Rajiv Gandhi Award in Maharashtra.
About Maharashtra –
- Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari
- Capital: Mumbai
- CM: Uddhav Thackeray.
Banks will pay fines if ATMs run out of cash from October 1st
The Reserve Bank of India has announced a penalty for banks and non-banking entities if the automated teller machines, or ATMs, operated by them run out of cash for more than 10 hours a month.
- From 1st October 2021, banks will have to pay a flat Rs 10,000 penalty per ATM if their machines run out of cash beyond the stipulated time limit.
- In Jun 2021, banks are allowed to increase charges on using ATM machines to Rs 21 per transaction from January 1, 2022. prior to this, charge was Rs 20 per transaction.
RBI hikes collateral-free loans to Self Help Groups
The Reserve Bank of India has increased the limit for collateral-free loans to Self-Help Groups (SHG) under the DAY-NRLM (Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana – National Rural Livelihoods Mission) from Rs. 10 lakhs to Rs. 20 Lakhs.
- The DAY-NRLM is the flagship program, was launched by the Indian Govt on March 29th, 2016.
- it aims to promote poverty reduction through building strong institutions for the poor, particularly women.
- DAY-NRLM program enables institutions to access a range of financial services and livelihoods.
IDFC FIRST Bank inks a MoU with Indian Navy to offer Honour first banking solutions
IDFC FIRST Bank has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Indian Navy. as per the MoU, The bank will offer Honour FIRST, a premium banking solution, to serving personnel and veterans of the Indian Navy.
- The Honour FIRST Defence Account has been introduced to fill the needs of the Armed Forces and its veterans.
- The Honour FIRST Defence account offers a range of privileges and features like zero balance salary account, net banking and mobile App.
- The account holders can take a free enhanced Personal Accident Insurance Cover of Rs 46 lakhs for both on-duty and off-duty incidents.
- Personal Accident Insurance Cover includes a Child Education Grant of Rs 4 lakhs, and a marriage cover of Rs 2 lakh.
About IDFC FIRST Bank –
- CEO: V. Vaidyanathan
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Founded: October 2015
RBI appointes Neeraj Chopra for awareness campaign against cyber frauds
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has selected Olympic Gold medalist Neeraj Chopra for its new campaign. the campaign aims to raise public awareness against digital banking fraud.
- Chopra will urge people to not share details such as OTP, CVV number and ATM PIN in front of anyone during the campaign.
R K Vishnoi takes charge as THDCIL CMD
R K Vishnoi has assumed the post of the Chairman and Managing Director of THDCIL with immediate effect. before this, he was serving as Director (Technical) with effect from (w.e.f) 01.09.2019 in THDCIL.
- Vishnoi also is representing the country in the International Commission on Large Dams for the Technical Committee on Seismic Safety of Dams.
About THDCIL –
- THDC India Limited (THDCIL) is a joint venture between NTPC and the Govt of Uttar Pradesh.
Mohammad Mokhber named as first Vice President of Iran
The President of Iran Ebrahim Raisi has named the chairman of a powerful state-owned foundation sanctioned by the United States as his first vice-president. he headed the foundation known as Setad or the Execution of Imam Khomeini’s order for years.
- In 2007, the supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei elected Mokhber to the position.
- Capital: Tehran
- Currency: Iranian toman.
Nagaland received 7 national awards in Van Dhan Vikas Yojana
Nagaland has got the 7 prestigious national awards in the Van Dhan Vikas Yojana (VDVY) and Minimum Support Price (MSP) schemes for exemplary performance in various categories.
- Nagaland has ranked first in three categories — Best Survey, Best Training and the most number of Van Dhan Vikas Clusters (VDVKCs) established.
- Along with it, it also received two other awards for a couple of ideas: supply of gooseberry wine by a multipurpose society and that of mushroom by Nagaland Beekeeping & Honey Mission.
Ayurveda proponent Balaji Tambe passes away at 81
An Ayurveda practitioner and proponent of Yoga, Dr. Balaji Tambe has passed away at the age of 81. he was suffering from a brief illness and was admitted to a private hospital in Pune
- Balaji Tambe was the founder of “Atmasantulana Village”.
- Atmasantulana Village is a holistic healing centre near Lonavla.
- Also, he has penned various books on spirituality, Yoga and Ayurveda.
- He played a role in promoting and popularize Ayurveda and Yoga.
International Youth Day 2021
The International Youth Day (IYD) is observed on August 12 annually across the world. the first International Youth Day (IYD) was celebrated on August 12th, 2000, and was designated by the United Nations in 1999.
- to Pay attention of governments and others towards youth issues worldwide.
- Theme of this year is “Transforming Food Systems: Youth Innovation for Human and Planetary Health“.
World Elephant Day 2021
World Elephant Day is observed on August 12 annually across the world.
- To Raise awareness on elephant conservation,
- To share knowledge and positive solutions for the better protection and management of wild and captive elephants