On 29th December 2022, An MoU for the production of the Goat Pox vaccine and “Lumpi-ProVac” vaccine to control and eradicate the Lumpy Skin Disease, was signed in Nagpur. Shri Parshottam Rupala, Union Minister of Fisheries, and the Chief Minister and Deputy CM of Maharashtra were also present on this occasion.
- National Centre for Veterinary Type Culture, ICAR-NRCE has developed a homologous live-attenuated LSD vaccine, named Lumpi-ProVacInd in collaboration with ICAR-IVRI, Izatnagar, UP.
- On, December 31, 2022, the commercial department of Agricultural Research and Education (DARE) granted “Non-Exclusive Rights” for Commercial production of “Lumpi-ProVac”, to the Institute of Veterinary Biological Products (IVBP), Pune.
What is Lumpy Skin Disease?
- Lumpy skin disease (LSD) is a contagious viral disease of cattle and buffalo that causes relatively low mortality.
- It does not affect humans.
- Lumpy skin disease (LSD) can result in animal welfare issues and significant production losses.
Lumpy Skin Disease: Causes & Symptoms
- The lumpy skin disease virus (LSDV) is a virus of the capripoxvirus genus in the poxviridae family.
- The virus is transmitted by insects that feed on blood, such as mosquitoes, ticks, and certain species of flies.
- Lumpy skin disease also spreads through contaminated fodder and water.
- The disease can cause fever, and nodules on the skin and can be fatal, especially in animals.
India develops indigenous Lumpi-ProVacInd
- Lumpi-ProVacInd is used for the prophylactic immunization of animals against Lumpy Skin Disease, and it elicits protection for about one year.
- A single dose of the vaccine has 103.5 TCID50 of live-attenuated LSDV (Ranchi strain).
- The vaccine is stored at 4°C.