Global Hunger Index 2021: India ranks at 101st spot, behind Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal
Welthungerhilfe (WHH) and Concern Worldwide have released Global Hunger Index (GHI) 2021. as per the Index, India has been ranked at the 101st spot among 116 countries in the Global Hunger Index (GHI) 2021. in 2020, India was ranked at 94.
- This year, India went behind Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal With a score of 27.5 which has a level of hunger that is serious.
- As per the Index, A total of 18 countries China, Kuwait and Brazil have shared the top rank with GHI score of less than five.
India’s Global Hunger Index (GHI) Compared with neighbors
- As per the report, India’s neighboring countries, Nepal (76), Bangladesh (76), Myanmar (71) and Pakistan (92) have ranked better than India (101), are placed in the ‘alarming’ hunger category.
- howevr, India have performed better that countrires including Papua New Guinea (102), Afghanistan (103), Nigeria (103), Congo (105), Mozambique (106), Sierra Leone (106), Timor-Leste (108), Haiti (109), Liberia (110), Madagascar (111), Democratic Republic of Congo (112), Chad (113), Central African Republic (114), Yemen (115) and Somalia (116).
Global Hunger Index (GHI) parameters
The organization calculates GHI scores on four parameters they are:
- Child wasting (percentage of children below 5 years of age who have low weight for their height, reflecting acute undernutrition),
- Child stunting (percentage of children below 5 years of age who have low height for their age, reflecting chronic undernutrition)
- Child mortality (the mortality rate of children under the age of 5).
India’s Global Hunger Index (GHI) score
- India’s Global Hunger Index (GHI) score has dropped to 27.5 out of 50 in 2021 from 38.8 in 2000.
Global Hunger Index (GHI) 2021: China, Pakisthan
- China has shared the top rank with 18 countries and has scored less than five.
- Pakistan has ranked at 92 and is in the ‘alarming’ hunger category.
What is the Global Hunger Index?
- The Global Hunger Index (GHI) is a peer-reviewed annual report and it is jointly released by Concern Worldwide and Welthungerhilfe. it aims to comprehensively measure and track hunger at the global, regional, and country levels. The main purpose of the GHI report is to trigger action to reduce hunger.
Global Hunger Index (GHI) 2021: Ranking – Top 20
|1-18||Bosnia & Herzegovina||<5|
For all the latest Updates, download PrepareExams App.