Asian Games Gold-Winning Boxer Dingko Singh Passes Away
On 10th June 2021, Asian Games gold medal-winning former boxer Dingko Singh has passed away at the age of 42. he was suffering from liver cancer for a long time. Dingko has inspired a generation of Indian pugilists with his swashbuckling ring craft and flamboyant personality.
- Dingko won the gold in the Bangkok Asiad and was the first in 16 years for Indian boxing.
- He won the gold medal at the 1998 Asian Games in Bangkok. He was awarded the Padma Shri by the Government of India in 2013.
What Rijiju said in his tweet on social handle:
“I’m deeply saddened by the demise of Shri Dingko Singh. One of the finest boxers India has ever produced, Dinko’s gold medal at 1998 Bangkok Asian Games sparked the Boxing chain reaction in India,”
I’m deeply saddened by the demise of Shri Dingko Singh. One of the finest boxers India has ever produced, Dinko's gold medal at 1998 Bangkok Asian Games sparked the Boxing chain reaction in India. I extend my sincere condolences to the bereaved family. RIP Dinko🙏 pic.twitter.com/MCcuMbZOHM— Kiren Rijiju (@KirenRijiju) June 10, 2021
Boxer Dingko Singh Wiki
- Born: 1 January 1979, Manipur
- Died: 10 June 2021
- Weight: 54 kg
- Wife – Babai Ngangom
- Weight class: Bantamweight
- Rank: Master Chief Petty Officer 1st Class
- Awards: Padma Shri, Arjuna Award for Boxing
- Family – a son and a daughter.