World Computer Literacy Day 2023: Every year, Computer Literacy Day is observed on December 2nd, imparting individuals with the knowledge and capabilities necessary for adept navigation of the digital landscape. Computer Literacy Day promotes digital literacy, especially among women and kids. NIIT introduced the day.
World Computer Literacy Day is marked on December 2 each year.
Indian multinational corporation, NIIT started to mark its 20th anniversary, World Computer Literacy Day was first celebrated in 2001. The day now marks the importance of computer education. It aims to bridge the digital divide by ensuring people have access to and knowledge of information and communication technologies. It also serves as a global initiative to promote computer literacy and digital skills.
Why World Computer Literacy Day is observed on December 2?
In 2001, the Indian computer company NIIT created Computer Literacy Day to mark its 20th anniversary. It also promotes the development of technological skills, especially among Indian children and women, and takes place every year on December 2.
Computer Literacy Day 2023: Theme
The theme of World Computer Literacy Day 2023 has not been announced yet. However, The theme for 2023 is believed to be: Promoting literacy for a world in transition: Building the foundation for sustainable and peaceful societies.
World Computer Literacy Day 2023: Quotes
The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do. – Ted Nelson
The question of whether a computer can think is no more interesting than the question of whether a submarine can swim. – Edsger Dijkstra
I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them. – Isaac Asimov
The internet could be a very positive step towards education, organisation and participation in a meaningful society. – Noam Chomsky
Top 10 Facts About Computer
- The first computer in the World was invented by Charles Babbage between 1833 and 1871.
- A mathematician and writer Ada Lovelace invented the first computer algorithms.
- In 1947, the first keyboard was created and took the place of the punch cards.
- In 1964, The first computer mouse was made out of wood by Douglas Engelbart and Bill English at the Stanford Research Institute.
- The first personal computer, known as the Kenbak-1, was purchased in 1971 for $750 (approximately Rs 62,000). It was designed by John Blankenbaker of Kenbak Corporation.
- Major computer companies such as Microsoft, HP, and Apple: all built their computers out of a garage.
- The first computer virus was the Creeper program and It was created in 1971 by Bob Thomas.
- In 1955, The first computer in India was installed at the Indian Statistical Institute in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- As per the Guinness World Records, the most expensive computer ever built was the SAGE (Semi-Automatic Ground Environment) system, built by US-based research institute IBM with MIT for an estimated cost of $8 billion.
- As per India’s 78th National Sample Survey, more than 40% of Indians in the age group of 15-29 years registered having the basic skill set of using computers.