Today Top Current Affairs 26 August 2021: Daily Gk Update
Daily Current Affairs 26th August 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related govt exams, covering the top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News and International Current News.
India gets first electrolyser unit in Bengaluru
Ohmium International has begun India’s first green hydrogen electrolyzer manufacturing unit at Bengaluru, Karnataka to manufacture India-made Proton Exchange Membrane (PEM) hydrogen electrolyzer.
- The factory has a capacity of manufacturing approximately 0.5 GW per year.
100 days ‘SUJALAM’ Campaign begins
The Ministry of Jal Shakti has launched ‘SUJALAM’, a ‘100 days campaign’ in order to create more and more ODF Plus villages by undertaking wastewater management at the village level particularly through the creation of 1 million Soak-pits and also other Greywater management activities.
- The Campaign begins on August 25th, 2021, and will run for the next 100 days.
- ‘SUJALAM’ Campaign Aims To Achieve ODF Plus Status For Villages Across The Country In An Accelerated Manner
- ‘SUJALAM’ Campaign will Ensure Sustainability of ODF Gains & Create One Million Soak Pits
the focus area of SUJALAM campaign
- Construction of 1 million soak pits
- Retrofitting of toilets and
- Access to toilets for new households.
Ashwini Vaishnaw launches SAMRIDH program to boost the start-up ecosystem in India
On 25th August 2021, the Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology has started off the “Start-up Accelerators of MeitY for Product Innovation, Development, and growth (SAMRIDH)” program.
- The program aims to boost the start-up ecosystem in the country.
- Under the Program, 300 startups to be provided with mentorship, funding, and other necessary support
- Along with it, Investment of up to ₹ 40 lakh is to be provided to the start-up.
World’s tallest observation wheel ‘Ain Dubai’ in UAE
The world’s largest and tallest observation wheel will be unveiled in Dubai, UAE on October 21st, 2021. The observation wheel is known as ‘Ain Dubai’. it is 250 m (820 ft) in height and is located at Bluewaters Island.
- It is taller than the current world’s tallest observation wheel, High Roller, in Las Vegas, measuring 167.6 m (550 ft).
Global Manufacturing Risk Index 2021: China Tops
Cushman & Wakefield has released its report on the 2021 Global Manufacturing Risk Index. as per the index, China has topped as the most favorable location for international manufacturing. followed by India and the US got 2nd and 3rd place in the 2021 Global Manufacturing Risk Index.
- followed by Canada, Czech Republic, Indonesia, Lithuania, Thailand, Malaysia and Poland.
KAZIND-21: 5th Joint Training Exercise between India and Kazakhstan, starts August 30th
India will participate in the 5th edition of Joint Training Exercise, “KAZIND-21”. the Exercise will be conducted from August 30 to September 11, 2021, at Training Node, Aisha Bibi, Kazakhstan.
- The aim of the exercise is to boost the bilateral relations between India and Kazakhstan Armies.
- the Armed Forces of India and Kazakhstan will get an opportunity to train for Counter Insurgency/ Counter-Terrorism operations in the mountainous, rural scenarios under UN mandate.
Sandeep Bakhshi re-appointed as ICICI Bank MD & CEO
The Reserve Bank of India has given its approval to re-appoint Sandeep Bakhshi as Managing Director and CEO of ICICI Bank with effect from 15 October 2021 till October 3rd, 2023.
- He will serve as ICICI Bank MD & CEO for a period of five years until October 3, 2023.
- In October 2018, Bakhshi was appointed as MD and CEO of ICICI Bank.
Infosys as 4th Indian company that reaches at $100 bn market cap
Infosys has become the 4th Indian company to touch a market capitalization (m-cap) of USD 100 billion.
Indian company to touch $100 bn market cap: Top 3
- Reliance Industries (Rs 13.7 trillion)
- Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) – Rs 13.4 trillion
- HDFC Bank – Rs 8.42 trillion.
BharatPe launches P2P lending app named ‘12% Club’
The Merchant payments and financial services provider, BharatPe has launched the peer-to-peer (P2P) Lending app called 12% Club. to launch the app, BharatPe has partnered with LenDenClub.
- P2P will allow individual investors to invest and borrow at 12% interest through the ‘12% Club’ app.
- Users can also get collateral-free loans of up to Rs 10 lakh on the 12 percent Club app for a tenure of 3 months.
- BharatPe is also going to launch its ‘Buy Now Pay Later’ (BNPL) product PostPe in the coming month.
Science and Technology
e-Shram portal – National Database on Unorganized Workers
The Govt of Indian has launched the e-Shram portal – National Database on Unorganized Workers (NDUW). it will identify the unorganized workers.
- the portal will work as the national database of nation builders, the ‘Shram Yogis’, and will help take welfare schemes to their doorstep.
Sri Basava International Award for the seer of Bhalki Hiremath
Karnataka govt has chosen Sri Basavaliga Pattaddevaru, senior seer of Bhalki Hiremath, for the prestigious Sri Basava International Award. Basavaliga Pattaddevaru will be provided the award from Minister for Kannada and Culture V. Sunil Kumar at Ravindra Kalakshetra in Bengaluru.
- The septuagenarian seer spends more than five decades in the Lingayat religious institution in the Bidar district.
Shot-putter Tek Chand becomes the India’s flag-bearer at the Tokyo Paralympics opening ceremony
On 24th August 2021, Indian shot-putter Tek Chand represented India as the flag-bearer for the Indian contingents at the opening ceremony of the Paralympics 2021 in Tokyo Japan.
- Prior to this, Rio Olympics gold-medallist high-jumper Mariyappan Thangavelu was selected for the flag bearer. but, he is found COVID positive and has been quarantined along with five other para-athletes.
- From India, 54 para-athletes will participate at the Tokyo Paralympics.
- Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games will be conducted between 24th August 2021 and 5th September 2021.
Former Indian Footballer O Chandrasekharan passes away at 86
Former Indian Footballer O Chandrasekharan has passed away at the age of 86 in Kochi.
- He was a part of the Indian team that participated in the 1960 Rome and the 1964 Tokyo Olympics.
He was also a member of the Indian team that won the gold in the 1962 Asian Games in Jakarta and the silver medal in the Asian Cup in Tel Aviv the same year.
He became the captain of the Maharashtra team that won the 1963 Santhosh Trophy.