Skyroot Aerospace unveils Vikram-1 rocket – On 24th October 2023, Dr. Jitendra Singh, the Union Minister of Science and Technology, revealed Skyroot’s Vikram-1 orbital rocket in Hyderabad. Skyroot’s co-founder and CEO, Pawan Kumar Chandana highlighted the partly commercial nature of Vikram-1’s inaugural launch.
‘Vikram-1,’ a multi-stage launch vehicle will be an expected space launch in early 2024. It was unveiled at ‘Max-Q,’ the company’s new headquarters in the city.
- It can carry 300 kg payloads in the Low Earth Orbit.
- The rocket is an all-carbon-bodied vehicle capable of setting multiple satellites into orbit; it also features 3D-printed liquid engines.
- Vikram-1 is among the ‘elite few’ rockets with the capability to deploy orbital satellites.
- It is tall as a 7-storey building.
- It is the startup’s second rocket and comes after ‘Vikram-S,’ the country’s first privately-built rocket.
- Skyroot has become the 1st company to launch a private rocket from the Indian Space Research Organisation’s (ISRO) facility in Andhra Pradesh’s Sriharikota.