Cabinet approves to observe November 15 as Janjatiya Gaurav Divas
The Union Cabinet has declared November 15 as Janjatiya Gaurav Divas. the Cabinet was headed by PM Modi. 15 November marks the birth anniversary of Sri Birsa Munda who is revered as Bhagwan (God) by tribal communities across the country.
- The Janjatiya Gaurav Divas aims to highlight the brave tribal freedom fighters and their sacrifice for the country.
- Apart from this, Week-long celebrations will be conducted between 15 November and 22 November to commemorate the glorious history of tribal people, culture and achievements
Who is Birsa Munda
- Birsa Munda was born on 15 November 1875 and he was an Indian freedom fighter, religious leader and folk hero from the Munda Tribe of the Chhota Nagpur Plateau area.
- He became part of anti-missionary and anti-establishment activities between 188 –1890 in Chaibasa.
- Munda began a movement called ‘Ulgulan’, or ‘The Great Tumult against British Raj.
- He gave the slogan,‘Abua raj seter jana, maharani raj tundu jana’ which means ‘End the kingdom of the queen, create our kingdom’.
- In March 1900, Munda was arrested in Jamkopai forest in Chakradharpur during fighting the British alongside his guerilla army.
- On 9th June, Birsa Munda passed away in custody.
Janjatiya Gaurav Divas
- In India, 15 November will be observed as Janjatiya Gaurav Divas in order to honour brave tribal freedom fighters and make the youth aware of their sacrifices.
- The them of Janjatiya Gaurav Divas is to showcase the achievements of tribals in Indian Freedom struggle, various welfare measures taken by Centre in education, health, livelihood, infrastructure and skill development.
For all the latest Updates, download PrepareExams App.