400th birth anniversary celebrations of Ahom commander Lachit Barphukan were started in New Delhi. the celebrations will be held for three days. on this occasion, Union Finance minister Nirmala Sitharaman inaugurated an exhibition to highlight the life and achievement of the Ahom dynasty and Lachit Barphukan among others.
Who was Lachit Borphukan?
- Lachit Barphukan was born on 24 November 1622 and was a commander and Borphukan, in the Ahom kingdom.
- he was known for his leadership in the 1671 Battle of Saraighat which thwarted a drawn-out attempt by Mughal forces under the command of Ramsingh I to take over the Ahom kingdom.
- he died on 25 April 1672 due to illness.
- Lachit Borphukan was the youngest son of Momai Tamuli Borbarua.
- Every year, November 24 is celebrated as Lachit Divas (Lachit Day) in Assam. the day aims to commemorate the heroism of Lachit Borphukan and the victory of the Assamese army at the Battle of Saraighat.
Lachit Borphukan Gold Medal (Best Cadet of NDA)
- The best passing out cadet of the National Defence Academy is conferred the Lachit Borphukan gold medal every year since 1999.
Mahabir Lachit Award
- Mahabir Lachit Award is presented to notable personalities of Assam by Tai Ahom Yuva Parishad (TAYPA).
Lachit Borphukan’s Maidam
- Lachit Borphukan’s Maidam was built in memory of Lachit Borphukan at Jorhat, Assam.
- Lachit Borphukan’s Maidam is 8 km far from the famous Hoollongapar Gibbon Sanctuary.
- Last remains of Borphukan were laid under this tomb (Maidam) constructed by Swargadeo Udayaditya Singha in 1672.
★★★★ You Can Also Read ★★★★
|Computer Awareness Quiz Questions Set (Banking)|
|Read Daily Current Affairs Topic Wise|
|Daily Current Affairs Quiz (Current GK Test)|
|Static Gk Quiz Questions and Answers|
For all the latest Updates, download PrepareExams App.