World Tuna Day 2023: Theme, History and Significance – Every year, World Tuna Day is observed on May 2nd across the world to raise awareness about the importance of tuna fish. World Tuna Day is a United Nations observance day, aimed at creating awareness about the importance of tuna as a vital fish species and the need for sustainable management of tuna stocks. The day also marks the significant role of tuna fisheries in economic development, job creation, and food security.
- It spreads awareness about Tuna fish and their importance to humans and planet Earth, and May 2 is observed as World Tuna Day.
- This day also promotes more sustainable fishing practices.
World Tuna Day 2023: History
- In order to recognize the significance of this fish species and the challenges facing tuna populations around the world, the day of 2nd May was designated as World Tuna Day by the United Nations.
- The day was founded to highlight the need for action to ensure the long-term survival of this important fish species.
- Parties to the Nauru Agreement (PNA), a group of small island nations in the Pacific first proposed World Tuna Day.
- In 2011, The proposal was designated during a meeting of the Western and Central Pacific Fisheries Commission (WCPFC).
- United Nations General Assembly officially decided May 2nd as World Tuna Day in 2016.
- The resolution was presented by Fiji, on behalf of the Pacific Small Island Developing States (PSIDS), and was co-sponsored by over 50 countries.
World Tuna Day 2023: Theme
- The theme 2022 of World Tuna Day is “Our Tuna, Our Heritage”.
World Tuna Day 2023: Quotes
- “Just because I am a chef, does not mean I do not rely on global factors. There are so many issues in our oceans like the near extinction of bluefin tuna that should be taken more seriously worldwide.” — Heston Blumenthal
- “By the end of the 20th century, up to 90 per cent of the sharks, tuna, swordfish, marlins, groupers, turtles, whales, and many other large creatures that prospered in the Gulf for millions of years had been depleted by overfishing.” — Sylvia Earle
- Tuna is a popular fish species across the world.
- it is an important food source for millions of people, especially in developing countries.
★★★★ You Can Also Read ★★★★
|Computer Awareness Quiz Questions Set (Banking)
|Read Daily Current Affairs Topic Wise
|Daily Current Affairs Quiz (Current GK Test)
|Static Gk Quiz Questions and Answers
For all the latest Updates, download PrepareExams App.