World Polio Day 2022: History, Theme and Significance – Every year, World Polio Day is celebrated on 24th October across the globe to raise awareness about the polio vaccination and eradication of polio from every corner of the world.
- The day also commemorates the progress made by the world toward polio eradication.
- It aims to raise awareness of the importance of polio vaccination to protect every child from this devastating disease and to celebrate the many parents, professionals, and volunteers whose contributions make polio eradication achievable.
World Polio Day 2022: History
- Rotary International established World Polio Day in 1985 to mark the birth of Jonas Salk, who was the lead medical researcher of the team that developed a vaccine against polio.
- Jonas Salk developed the inactivated poliovirus vaccine, which first came into use in the year 1955.
- Albert Sabin developed the oral polio vaccine which came into use in 1961.
- Rotary International designated polio day.
- It day also makes the birth of Jonas Salk. Jonas Salk led the first team to develop a vaccine against poliomyelitis.
World Polio Day 2022: Theme
- The theme of World Polio Day is “World Polio Day 2022 and Beyond: A healthier future for mothers and children”.
- The theme 2021 for World Polio Day is “One Day. One Focus: Ending Polio – delivering on our promise of a polio-free world!”.
- Polio is also known as poliomyelitis.
- It is a life-threatening viral illness and affects only human beings.
- illness can enter through contaminated food and water to humans.
- It can also lead to permanent disability, difficulty in breathing.
- It can also cause death.
World Polio Day 2022: FAQs
Why is World Polio Day celebrated?
It aims to raise awareness for polio vaccination and the eradication of polio.
What is the theme of World Polio Day 2022?
The theme of World Polio Day is “World Polio Day 2022 and Beyond: A healthier future for mothers and children”.
Why is World Polio Day on October 24?
On that day, Jonas Salk led the first team to develop a vaccine against poliomyelitis.
Who started World Polio Day?
Rotary International designated polio day.
★★★★ You Can Also Read ★★★★
|Computer Awareness Quiz Questions Set (Banking)|
|Read Daily Current Affairs Topic Wise|
|Daily Current Affairs Quiz (Current GK Test)|
|Static Gk Quiz Questions and Answers|
For all the latest Updates, download PrepareExams App.