World Meteorological Day 2023: Theme, History – Every year, World Meteorological Day is observed on 23 March to celebrate the establishment of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) that took place on 23 March 1950. The day aims to highlight the great contribution of the National Meteorological and Hydrological Services in maintaining the well-being and safety of societies all around the globe.
- World Meteorological Day aims to create awareness among people about weather and climate-related issues and suggest preventive measures to address the problem.
Read: Martyrs Day (Shaheed Diwas) on 23 March
World Meteorological Day 2023: Theme
- The theme of World Meteorological Day 2023 is “The future of weather, climate and water across generations.”
- The theme for 2021 World Meteorological Day is ‘The ocean, our climate and weather’, focusing on the atmosphere as well as on the ocean and its significance.
World Meteorological Day 2023: History
- In 1950, World Meteorological Organization (WMO) was established and came into existence on 23 March 1950 with the intention to address all the national and international issues related to climate and weather change.
- World Meteorological Day 2023 marks the 150th anniversary of the World Meteorological Organization.