World Blood Donor Day 2022: History, Significance, Theme – Every year, World Blood Donor Day is observed on 14 June across the world. the day aims to create awareness of the need for safe blood and blood products, and it also thanks blood donors for their voluntary, life-saving gifts of blood.
- the World Health Organization (WHO) has conducted the celebration with the help of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies.
World Blood Donor Day 2022 Date:
- World Blood Donor Day will be observed on June 14 this year.
World Blood Donor Day 2022 Theme:
- The World Health Organization (WHO) has selected the theme 2022 of World Blood Donor Day ‘Donating blood is an act of solidarity.
- Join the effort and save lives,’ as the slogan for this year’s Blood Donor Day.
- In 2020, the theme was, “Safe blood saves lives” with the slogan “Give blood and make the world a healthier place”.
- The theme of World Blood Donor Day 2021 is ‘Give blood and keep the world beating’.
World Blood Donor Day 2022 History:
- Nobel prize winner and scientist Karl Landsteiner was born on June 14. he is credited for finding the ABO blood group system.
- World Blood Donor Day also marks the birthday of Karl Landsteiner, who discovered various blood groups.
- Before Carl detected blood groups, blood transfusions used to happen without knowing the various blood groups.
- In 1930, Karl Landsteiner was awarded the Nobel Prize for his discovery.
World Blood Donor Day 2022 Objectives:
- To create awareness all across the world
- To Thank blood donors
- Marks the importance of blood donation.
- Boost awareness for investment and support from governments to make a national blood system and increase collection.
World Blood Donor Day 2022: FAQs
When is World Blood Donor Day observed?
World Blood Donor Day is celebrated all across the globe on June 14 every year.
Can a 50-year-old donate blood?
Donors must be of 18 -65 years aged. Must weigh at least 45kgs. Have Haemoglobin of at least 12.5 grams.
For all the latest Updates, download PrepareExams App.