Today Top Current Affairs 5 January 2021
Daily Current Affairs 5 January 2021: This article consists of the latest top current affairs for 5 January 2021 that are essential for all competitive exams such as Bank, SSC, IBPS, SBI exams. You can also take our Current Affairs Quiz after studying our daily current affairs.
PM Modi inaugurated National Metrology Conclave 2021
On 4th January 2021, PM Modi has inaugurated the National Metrology Conclave through a video conference.
- Theme: ‘Metrology for the Inclusive Growth of the Nation’.
- The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research-National Physical Laboratory (CSIR-NPL) has made all kind of arrangements to host National Metrology Conclave 2021. it also marks 75th year of inception.
US Congress clears Malala Yousafzai Scholarship Act
The U.S. Congress has finally cleared an act named ‘Malala Yousafzai Scholarship Act’. as per the act, Pakistani women will be able to get the number of scholarships in higher education.
- The bill/act needs the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) to give awards to Pakistan women who have at least 50% of scholarships between 2020 and 2022.
ADB approved $100 million loans for power distribution system in Bengaluru
On 31st December 2020, The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has signed a loan agreement with Indian Govt. the loan amount will be $100 million and it will be used for upgrading the power distribution system in Bengaluru to boost the quality and reliability of electricity supply in the city.
- Along with it, The ADB will also give $90 million without sovereign guarantee loan for the project to Bangalore Electricity Supply Company Limited (BESCOM).
Bajaj Auto emerged as world’s most valuable two-wheeler company
On 1st January 2021, The two-wheeler and three-wheeler manufacturing company, Bajaj Auto has emerged as the most valuable two-wheeler company in the world. the company has achieved over Rs. 1 lakh crore as market capitalization.
- On the first day of the New year, Bajaj’s share price was reached at Rs. 3,479 per share and it leads to a market capitalization of over Rs 1,00,670.76 crore.
- The Bajaj company has achieved this milestone and is also celebrating the 75th year of its operations in the new year.
- The Bajaj Auto’s headquarters is situated in Pune, Maharashtra.
Justice Pankaj Mithal took sworn as new Chief Justice of J&K and Ladakh High Court
On 4th January 2021, Pankaj Mithal has been elected as the new Chief Justice (CJ) of the Common High Court for the Union Territory of Jammu & Kashmir.
- Pankaj Mithal will take place of Chief Justice Gita Mittal. Gita Mittal has been retired.
- The Lieutenant Governor of Jammu and Kashmir Shri Manoj Sinha has administered the oath to Chief Justice Pankaj Mithal.
Justice S Muralidhar took Oath as Chief Justice Of Orissa High Court
On 4th January 2021, The Justice S Muralidhar has taken an oath as Chief Justice of Orissa High Court. he became 32nd Chief Justice.
- The Governor of Odisha state Shri Ganeshi Lal administered the oath to Muralidhar at Raj Bhavan.
- At the oath ceremony, ACS Home Sanjeev Chopra, Law Minister Pratap Jena, Opposition Leader Pradipta Kumar Naik and Chief Secretary SC Mohapatra were present in the event.
About S Muralidhar
- He was born on 8th August 1961 and on 12th September 1984, he started studying as an advocate. he also made practices in civil courts in Chennai, Delhi High Court and Supreme Court of India.
- In 2006, he was chosen as an Additional Judge of Delhi High Court and later in 2007, he became Permanent Judge. In 2020, he got transferred to Punjab and Haryana High Court.
World Braille Day 2021
The day of 4th January is observed as World Braille Day. it aims to highlight the birth anniversary of Louis Braille, who was the inventor of the Braille language. Braille was born on 4th January 1809 in France. he played an important role in developing Braille language for blind and visually impaired people.
- In 2019, the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) gave its approval for the first time World Braille Day.
- Louis Braille developed a language that helps impaired people for reading and writing. Louis was a French man. he lost his vision in an accident.
- At the age of 15, Braille introduced his system for visually impaired in 1824. in the system, uniform columns are for each letter 12 raised dots.
87 Years old Ace mountaineer Colonel Narendra Bull Kumar died
The Ace mountaineer Colonel Narendra ‘Bull’ Kumar has taken his last breath at the age of 87. he was suffering from age-related illness. he played a role for securing the Siachen Glacier for India.
- He was called as ‘Siachen saviour’. Narendra Kumar was the first man who detected the cartographic aggression of Pakistan in the Siachen glacier area.
- He was honoured with the Kirti Chakra, Padma Shri, Arjun Award and the McGregor medal.
82 years old Ex-Minister of Maharashtra Vilas Patil Undalkar died
The Ex-Minister of Maharashtra cabinet Shri Vilas Patil Undalkar Ji has passed away at the age of 82. he was suffering from a brief illness. he has been as seven-time Congress MLA.
- He was called as kaka. he was the veteran Congressman and selected for 7 times from Karad-South Assembly constituency for a record 35 consecutive years between 1980 and 2014.