Today Top Current Affairs 31 August 2021: Daily Gk Update
Daily Current Affairs 31 August 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related govt exams, covering the top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News and International Current News.
PFRDA increases the entry age in National Pension System (NPS) to 70 years
The Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA) has announced to increase the entry age for the National Pension System (NPS) from 65 years to 70 years.
- The existing age of entry which is 18-65 years, has been revised to 18-70 years. now, people can be the part of NPS and continue or defer their NPS Account up to the age of 75 years.
RuPay launches #FollowPaymentDistancing campaign to promote and encourage contactless payments
National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) has launched a strategic campaign – #FollowPaymentDistancing. the main aim of this campaign is to promote and encourage contactless payments among customers amid these unpredictable times.
- RuPay’s #FollowPaymentDistancing campaign will play a role in encouraging consumers to start ‘payment distancing’ and switch to contactless digital payments with RuPay Contactless Cards
About RuPay –
- Owner: National Payments Corporation of India
- Introduced: 8 May 2014
- Tagline: ONE LIFE. ONE RuPay
Union Minister Nirmala Sitharaman launches My Pad My Right project in Tripura
Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has launched the ‘My Pad My Right’ (MPMR) project in Tripura. the purpose of the ‘My Pad My Right’ (MPMR) project is to develop the rural economy and will bring livelihood and menstrual hygiene closer to rural women by way of grants, wage support, and capital equipment.
- it will also help rural women improve menstrual hygiene.
- Nirmala Sitharaman also inaugurates a mobile ATM van of the Tripura State Cooperative Bank to mark the 7th anniversary of the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana.
FM Nirmala Sitharaman Promises Rs 1300 Crore Development Package for Tripura Tribal Areas
Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has announced a Rs 1300-crore rupees project for Sustainable Development and Infrastructure Development for Tripura’s Tribal areas to ensure all-around development in the state’s tribal areas.
- Nirmala Sitharaman also has announced that two other projects worth over Rs 21 crore including widening of state highways (Rs. 14.15 crore) and various works in the capital city (Rs. 7.4 crores).
Former SBI Chief Rajnish Kumar as independent director of HSBC Asia
On 30th August 2021, HSBC Asia has appointed former SBI chairman Rajnish Kumar as a non-executive director for its Hong Kong-headquartered Asia unit.
- He has served as a senior advisor by Baring Private Equity Asia and an advisor to Kotak Investment Advisors.
- He will be a member of The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation’s audit committee and risk committee.
PhonePe receives insurance broking licence from Irdai
On 30th August 2021, PhonePe has received an insurance broking license from the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (Irdai).
- Now, with this new ‘direct broking’ licence, PhonePe will offer insurance products from all insurance companies in India.
- PhonePe can offer personalized product recommendations to its users.
- The new broking licence will allow a more diverse portfolio of insurance products for Indian consumers.
- PhonePe unveiled various mutual funds and insurance products including tax-saving funds, liquid funds, international travel insurance and ‘Corona Care’ and so on.
About PhonePe –
- Founded: 2015
- CEO: Sameer Nigam
- Headquarters: Bengaluru
Yogesh Kathuniya won silver in the discus throw at Tokyo Paralympics 2020
The discus thrower from India Yogesh Kathuniya has claimed a silver medal in the men’s Discus Throw F56 final event at the ongoing Tokyo Paralympics 2020 with a throw of 44.38m.
- Batista dos Santos (Brazil) wins the Gold medal and made a new Paralympic record with a throw of 45.59m.
Javelin Thrower Sumit Antil won Gold for India at Tokyo Paralympics
Sumit Antil has won a gold medal in the men’s javelin throw F64 final event at the Tokyo Paralympics, made a new world record throw of 68.55m.
- Followed by Michal Burian (Australia) and Dulan Kodithuwakku (Sri Lanka) have won the silver and bronze medal respectively.
- Javelin Thrower Sumit Antil bagged the 2nd gold medal for India at the ongoing Tokyo Games.
- India has bagged 7 medals in total so far.
Avani Lekhara won gold medal in shooting at Tokyo Paralympics 2020
On 30th August 2021, Avani Lekhara (paralympic shooter from India) has won a gold medal with a score of 249.6 in the final at the Tokyo Paralympics 2020 in the women’s 10m air rifle standing SH1 event.
- This is the first gold medal for India.
- With this, Avani becomes the first Indian woman who has achieved a gold medal in shooting at an Olympic and Paralympic Games.
- Avani Lekhara is from Jaipur, Rajasthan.
Devendra Jhajharia won his 3rd Paralympic medal, bronze medal for Sundar Singh Gurjar in the javelin throw
Devendra Jhajharia and Sundar Singh Gurjar have won silver a best throw of 64.35m and bronze medals respectively in men’s javelin throw at the Tokyo Paralympics.
- Jhajharia has earned his third Paralympic medal,
- prior to this, he won gold at Athens 2004 and Rio 2016.
- Now, Indian has begged six confirmed medals at the Tokyo Paralympics 2020.
- Avani Lekhara won gold at the Paralympics by winning the women’s 10m air rifle event, became the first Indian woman.
- Yogesh Kathuniya earned the silver medal in the men’s discus throw F56 event.
Stuart Binny Announces Retirement From All Forms Of Cricket
37-year-old and All-rounder Stuart Binny has announced his retirement from first-class and international cricket. he holds the record of the best bowling figures (6 wickets for four runs )in ODI format against Bangladesh.
- He has played six Tests, 14 ODIs, and three Twenty-20 International matches for India.
- He made his debut Test against England in July 2014 and made 78 runs in the second innings.
- In the Indian Premier League (IPL), he has played for the Rajasthan Royals.
Bengali Writer Buddhadeb Guha passes away at 85
Eminent Bengali writer Buddhadeb Guha has passed away at the age of 85 due to a massive cardiac arrest. he was author of many notable works such as Madhukari (Honey Gatherer), “Koeler Kachhe” (Near the Koel bird), “Sobinoy Nibedon” (Humble Offering).
- He was born on June 29th, 1936 in Kolkata.
- His novels and short stories have won several awards, including Ananda Purashkar in 1976, Shiroman Purashkar and Sharat Puraskar.