Today Top Current Affairs 2 January 2021
Daily Current Affairs 2 January 2021: This article consists of the latest top current affairs for 2 January 2021 that are essential for all competitive exams such as Bank, SSC, IBPS, SBI exams. You can also take our Current Affairs Quiz after studying our daily current affairs.
63rd Foundation Day of DRDO
On 1st January 2021, The The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has celebrated its 63rd Foundation Day. this was the day when DRDO was established.
- It was found in 1958 with just 10 laboratories for boosting the research work in the Defence sector.
- It worked for designing and developing cutting edge defence technologies for Indian Armed Forces.
- At present, it works in various areas such as aeronautics, armaments, combat vehicles, electronics, instrumentation, engineering systems, missiles, materials, naval systems, advanced computing, simulation, cyber, life sciences and so on.
PM Modi laid the foundation for Light House projects (LHPs)
On 1st January 2021, PM Modi has kept the foundation stone of Light House projects (LHPs). the LHPs will be established in 6 states.
- Cities and States: Indore (Madhya Pradesh), Rajkot (Gujarat), Chennai (Tamil Nadu), Ranchi (Jharkhand), Agartala (Tripura) and Lucknow (Uttar Pradesh).
- The projects will be completed under the Global Housing Technology Challenge (GHTC)-India.
- As per the project, more than 1,000 houses will be established in 6 cities in a period of one year.
IFSCA as Associate Member of IOSCO
The International Financial Services Centres Authority (IFSCA) is chosen as Associate Member of the International Organization of Securities Commissions (IOSCO).
- IOSCO is known as the international organization that covers over 95 per cent of the world’s securities markets.
- IFSCA will receive the information at the world level and regional level on areas of common interests and it will help to determine from the experiences and best practices of the regulators of other well established financial centres.
- in April 2020, IFSCA was created by the Ministry of Finance. it aims to manage all financial services in International Financial Services Centres (IFSCs) in India.
Suneet Sharma as new Chairman & CEO of Railway Board
Suneet Sharma has been elected as the new Chairman & Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Railway Board, Ministry of Railways and ex-officio Principal Secretary to Indian Government. Suneet is a Special Class Railway Apprentice Officer from 1978-batch.
- He will assume charge on 1st January 2021.
- Before this, he was serving as General Manager in Eastern Railway.
Soma Mondal as new SAIL Chairman
On 1st January 2021, Soma Mondal is going to assume the post of new Chairman of Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL). she will be the first women-head.
- Some will take place of Anil Kumar Chaudhary. who is superannuated.
- Before this, She was serving as the Director (Commercial) of SAIL.
India signed $231 million loan with ADB for enhancing power generation capacity in Assam
On 30th Dec 2020, The Indian Govt has taken a loan of $ 231 million amount from Asian Development Bank (ADB). the main purpose of the loan is to increase electricity generation capacity in Assam.
- ADB Board approved the Assam Power Sector Investment Programme in July 2014. this was the 3rd tranche of the loan.
- The loan amount will be used for establishing 120 megawatts (MW) hydroelectric power plant.
India signed a loan agreement with ADB for expanding horticulture in Himachal Pradesh
On 30th December 2020, The Indian Govt has signed an agreement of $10 million project readiness financing (PRF) with Asian Development Bank.
- The project will play a role in supporting finance piloting activities, and design and capacity building.
- So that, it will help in expanding horticulture production and farm household income in Himachal Pradesh (HP) state.