Today Top Current Affairs 1 September 2021: Daily Gk Update
Daily Current Affairs 1 September 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related govt exams, covering the top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News and International Current News.
Dorje Angchuk as first Indian to be inducted as Honorary Member of the International Astronomical Union
Dorje Angchuk has been inducted as an Honorary Member of the International Astronomical Union (IAU). Dorje is an Engineer in charge at the Indian Astronomical Observatory of the Indian Institute of Astrophysics (IIA) at Hanle in the Ladakh region.
- Angchuk has become the first and only Indian who has been conferred with this position, also, is elected for ‘his passionate promotion of astronomy in the Ladakh region, through his excellent astrophotography’.
About Indian Institute of Astrophysics (IIA)
- It is an autonomous institute of the Department of Science & Technology (DST), Govt. of India, its headquarter is located at Bengaluru
About International Astronomical Union (IAU)
- headquarter- Paris, France
IIT Madras introduuces online platform ‘E-Source’ to tackle e-Waste
The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras will introduce an innovative digital model named as ‘e-Source,’ to address the problem of e-waste (electronic wastes).
- e-Source will work as an exchange platform.
- it will serve as an online marketplace for Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE).
- It will also connect various stakeholders (buyers and sellers) of used and waste electronic equipment and components, both in the formal and informal economy.
Moody’s forecasts India’s GDP growth to 9.6% for CY2021 and 7% for CY2022
Moody’s Investors Service has forecasted that India’s growth rate will be for the calendar year (CY) 2021 at 9.6 percent, as shown in its August update to the ‘Global Macro Outlook 2021-22’ report.
- Moody’s also retained the GDP growth forecast for the calendar year 2022 at 7 percent.
Nine New Supreme Court Judges Take Oath
On 31st August 2021, nine new judges, including three women judges have taken an as Supreme Court judges. Chief Justice of India N V Ramana administered the Oath of Office and Secrecy to all. With it, the total strength of the Supreme Court has increased to 33.
nine new judges are:
- Justice Abhay Shreeniwas Oka,
- Justice Vikram Nath,
- Justice Jitendra Kumar Maheshwari,
- Justice Hima Kohli,
- Justice B V Nagarathna,
- Justice C T Ravikumar,
- Justice M M Sundresh,
- Justice Bela M Trivedi,
- Justice P S Narasimha.
Indian Idol Winner Pawandeep Rajan as Uttarakhand’s Brand Ambassador for Art, Tourism, Culture
The winner of Indian Idol 12 Pawandeep Rajan has been appointed as Uttarakhand’s brand ambassador for art, tourism, and culture.
- Pawandeep hails from Champawat in the Kumaon region of Uttarakhand.
- He has won the 12th edition of the music reality show Indian Idol on August 15th, 2021.
Pankaj Kumar Singh has been appointed as new BSF director general
Pankaj Kumar Singh has been appointed as director-general of the country’s largest border guarding force BSF. he is a 1988-batch Indian Police Service officer from Rajasthan cadre.
- Pankaj will take place of IPS officer and ITBP DG S S Deswal who is serving as an additional charge of the BSF DG.
- He is serving as the special director general (DG) of the force that’s duty is to guard more than 6,300 km of the Indian fronts with Pakistan and Bangladesh.
PayU announces to acquire Indian digital payments provider BillDesk for $4.7 bn
Prosus-backed fintech firm PayU is going to acquire India’s earliest payment gateway BillDesk in an all-cash transaction of $4.7 billion.
- This acquisition will be the largest one in India’s digital payments area.
- Through this acquisition, Prosus’s investment will increase to $10 billion in India and Prosus has invested $6 billion in the Indian tech ecosystem so far.
About PayU –
- CEO: Laurent le Moal
- Founded: 2006
RBI extends PIDF scheme to street vendors covered under PM SVANidhi in tier 1, 2 centres
Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has decided to extend the scheme for encouraging the deployment of Point of Sale (PoS) infrastructure to street vendors covered under the PM SVANidhi program in tier 1 and 2 centers.
Rabobank 2021 Global Dairy Top 20 Report: Lactalis Tops
Rabobank has published its eagerly-awaited annual Global Dairy Top 20 report for 2021. as per the report, French-based dairy company Lactalis has ranked first in the list as the world’s largest dairy company with a turnover of US $23.0 billion.
- Followed by Switzerland-based global behemoth Nestle and Dairy Famers of America have been ranked 2nd and 3rd place in the list respectively.
- Amul, Gujarat Cooperative Milk Marketing Federation (GCMMF) was ranked 18th in Rabobank’s 2021 Global Top 20 Dairy Companies list after falling two places. in 2020, Amul was ranked 16th spot in the last year.
Mariyappan Thangavelu and Sharad Kumar Win Silver and Bronze respectively
On 31st August 2021, Mariyappan Thangavelu (India) has claimed the silver medal in men’s high jump (T63) at the Tokyo Paralympics. Mariyappan cleared the 1.86m mark in the High Jump.
- Sharad Kumar has also won the bronze medal, clearing the 1.83m mark in men’s high jump (T63) at the Tokyo Paralympics.
- United States’s Sam Grewe won the gold medal who cleared 1.88m mark.
Singhraj Adhana Wins Paralympics Bronze Medal in 10m Air Pistol
On 31st August 2021, Indian shooter Singhraj has won the bronze medal in the P1 men’s 10m air pistol SH1 event of the Paralympics 2020. Adhana shot a total of 216.8 to finish in third place.
- Singhraj’s medal takes India’s Medals Tally to 10.
- Chao Yang (237.9 – Paralympic record) and Huang Xing (237.5) win the gold and silver medals respectively.
India Medals at Tokyo Paralympics 2020
Dale Steyn announces retirement from all forms of cricket
On 31st August 2021, South African Pacer Dale Steyn has announced his retirement from all forms of cricket. he is considered one of the greatest fast bowlers of all time. Dale Steyn has given his 20 years to cricket.
- Steyn played his last match (T20) for South Africa against Australia in February 2020.
- Also, he has played 93 Tests, 125 ODIs, and 47 T20I for South Africa.
- In the IPL, he had also played for Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB).
Renowned cricket coach Vasoo Paranjape dies at 82
The former Indian cricketer and renowned coach Vasudeo Paranjape (Also known as Vasoo) has passed away at the age of 82. he played a vital role in shaping the careers of numerous Indian cricket players
- He played 29 first-class matches for Mumbai and Baroda cricket team and scored 785 runs.
- Paranjape is survived by wife Lalita, a retired professor, two daughters and son Jatin, former India player and national selector.
International Day for People of African Descent 2021: August 31st
The United Nations celebrates The inaugural International Day for People of African Descent on August 31st every year.
- The main purpose of this day is to mark the extraordinary contributions of the African diaspora around the world.
- It also highlights to eliminate all forms of discrimination against people of African descent.
- In 2020, The United Nations Human Rights Council adopted the resolution on the “Promotion and protection of the human rights and fundamental freedoms of Africans and people of African descent against excessive use of force and other human rights violations by law enforcement officers”.