PM Modi becomes first Indian PM to Chair a UNSC Debate
PM Narendra Modi has chaired the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) open debate, via video conferencing. with it, PM Modi becomes the first Prime Minister of India to chair a UNSC open debate. India has taken the Presidency of the UNSC for August 2021 from France.
- India will also conduct two more meetings during its presidency,first will be on peacekeeping and second will be on counterterrorism.
PM Modi highlights five principles:
- Free maritime trade sans barriers,
- Peaceful settlement of maritime disputes,
- Combating maritime threats,
- Encouraging responsible maritime connectivity
- Preserving maritime environment and resources
- The theme of the high-level open debate was ‘Enhancing Maritime Security – A Case for International Cooperation.
At 5:30 PM tomorrow, 9th August, would be chairing the UNSC High-Level Open Debate on “Enhancing Maritime Security: A Case For International Cooperation”. https://t.co/p6pLLTGPCy— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) August 8, 2021
For all the latest Updates, download PrepareExams App.