A PAN (Permanent Account Number) card is a unique 10-digit alphanumeric identification number issued by the Indian Income Tax Department. All individuals and businesses in India must have a PAN card, which is used for various financial transactions such as filing tax returns, opening a bank account, and purchasing or selling property. In this article, we will discuss applying for a PAN card online.
Before starting the online application process, you should keep the following documents ready:
- A recent passport-sized photograph
- Proof of identity (such as a voter ID, passport, or driving license)
- Proof of address (such as a bank statement, electricity bill, or rental agreement)
To apply for a PAN card online, follow these steps:
- Go to the official website of the Income Tax Department (https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/home).
- Click on the “Services” tab and select “PAN” from the drop-down menu.
- Click on the “Apply for New PAN” button.
- You will be redirected to the NSDL (National Securities Depository Limited) website (https://www.nsdl.co.in/).
- Click on the “Application for PAN” link.
- Select the “Category” of the applicant (Individual, HUF, Company, etc.) and select the “Application Type” (New PAN, Changes or Correction in PAN Data).
- Fill in the required personal and contact details.
- Upload scanned copies of your photograph, proof of identity, and proof of address.
- Review your application and click on the “Submit” button.
- You will be redirected to the payment page, where you can choose your preferred payment method (credit card, debit card, or net banking).
- Once the payment is successful, you will receive an acknowledgment receipt with a 15-digit acknowledgment number. This number can be used to track the status of your PAN card application.
It is important to note that the PAN card will be dispatched to the address mentioned in the application within 15-20 days from the date of application. If you are still waiting to receive your PAN card within this time frame, you can check the status of your application on the NSDL website by entering your acknowledgment number.
If you need to make any changes or corrections to your PAN card, you can follow the same process and select “Changes or Correction in PAN Data” as the application type. You will be required to provide your existing PAN card details and the corrections that need to be made.
In conclusion, applying for a PAN card online is a simple and convenient process. It is essential to keep all the necessary documents ready and follow the steps mentioned above to avoid delays or errors in the application process.
Benefits of having pan card
Here are several benefits of having a Permanent Account Number (PAN) card in India:
- Filing tax returns: A PAN card is required for filing income tax returns in India. It is a unique identification number that helps the government track financial transactions and ensures that individuals and businesses pay the correct amount of tax.
- Opening a bank account: Most banks in India require a PAN card as proof of identification while opening a bank account.
- Buying or selling property: A PAN card is necessary for buying or selling property in India. It tracks financial transactions and ensures that the correct taxes are paid.
- Applying for a credit card: Most credit card companies in India require a PAN card as proof of identification while applying for a credit card.
- Applying for a loan: A PAN card is usually required for identification while applying for a loan in India.
- Making financial transactions above a certain threshold: In India, a PAN card is mandatory for financial transactions above a certain point. For example, cash deposits above INR 50,000 in a bank account or purchasing a vehicle worth more than INR 5 lakhs.
In conclusion, a PAN card is an important identification document in India and is required for various financial transactions. Therefore, applying for a PAN card is advisable d if you still need to get one.
How to apply for PAN Card – FAQ
Can a student apply for a PAN card?
One can apply for a PAN card only after reaching the age of 18 years. In case you are a minor (younger than 18 years), your parents can apply for the PAN card on your behalf.
How much do I need to pay for a PAN card?
For Indian Citizens, the PAN card fee is Rs. 93 around, for Foreign citizens, it is Rs. 864.
What is the validity of my PAN Card?
Your PAN Card will be valid for life time.
What is the Full Form of PAN?
Permanent Account Number
What is the Full Form of NSDL?
National Securities Depository Limited
★★★★ You Can Also Read ★★★★
|Computer Awareness Quiz Questions Set (Banking)|
|Read Daily Current Affairs Topic Wise|
|Daily Current Affairs Quiz (Current GK Test)|
|Static Gk Quiz Questions and Answers|
For all the latest Updates, download PrepareExams App.