Najib Mikati as new Lebanese Prime Minister
On 26th July 2021, Najib Mikati has been elected as Lebanon’s new Prime Minister with 72 votes in parliament while the former ambassador Nawaf Salam got only one vote.
- Najib Mikati will serve as the 31st Prime Minister of Lebanon.
Also Read: List of prime ministers of Lebanon
Mikati will serve his third stint as Lebanon’s Prime Minister
- Mikati will start his third stint as Lebanon’s Prime Minister. prior to this, Mikati has served as caretaker Prime Minister in April 2005 and also served a full-scale government for three years in the year 2011.
- Mikati will take place of Saad Hariri resigned prime minister after nine months of political turmoil and disputes with President Aoun and his son-in-law MP Gebran Bassil.
- Mikati has received support from most political parties such as Amal Movement, the Future Movement, Marada Movement, Hezbollah, and Progressive Socialist Party.
Who is Najib Mikati?
- Najib Azmi Mikati is a politician in Lebanon who had served as Prime Minister of Lebanon in 2005 and from 2011 to 2014. In 2005, he formed an interim government that supervised the general election.
- He is also a businessman and richest man in Lebanon, has a net worth of $2.5 billion in 2021. (As per Forbes)
- Mikati represented Tripoli as a Member of Parliament. He was the co-owner of a multi-billion conglomerate the M1 Group.
Who is Nawaf Salam?
- Nawaf Salam is a diplomat, jurist, and academic in Lebanon and ha served as judge on the International Court of Justice for the 2018-2027 term, received a concurrent majority of votes in the United Nations General Assembly and Security Council.
- Capital: Beirut
- Currency: Lebanese pound
- President: Michel Aoun
Who is the new Prime Minister of Lebanon?
Najib Mikati will serve as the 31st Prime Minister of Lebanon
Capital of Lebanon?
Currency of Lebanon?
For all the latest Updates, download PrepareExams App.