International Plastic Bag free day 2022: Date, History, Significance – The International Plastic Bag Free Day is observed on 3rd July every year across the globe to raise awareness regarding the issues of plastic pollution and also, it highlights the effects of plastic pollution on the natural environment ranging from land to marine.
- The main aim of this day is to promote the use of paper bags and cloth bags and make efforts to evict the use of single-use plastic.
International Plastic Bag free day 2022: Date
- Every year on July 3rd, International Plastic Bag free day is marked to raise awareness around this highly important issue.
International Plastic Bag free day 2022: History
- In 2008, The first International Plastic Bag Free Day was observed when Rezero, a member of Zero Waste Europe (ZWE), initiated day.
- A year later, ZWE introduced the International Plastic Bag Free Day to the European Union.
- The International Plastic Bag Free Day was initiated by Zero Waste Europe, a Brussels-based non-governmental organization (NGO).
- It is a global initiative of Zero Waste Europe in order to remove the usage of single-use plastic bags in the world.
Zero Waste Europe’s website:
- “In order to limit the amount of single-use plastic bags some countries are opting for bans, taxation, or different forms of voluntary agreements.
- Banning plastic bags is most effective in cases when they pose an imminent and clear threat, however, bans depend on strong law enforcement capacity,”
- According to the report of the United Nations Environmental Programme (UNEP), Every year, the world uses 5 trillion single-use plastic bags and produces 300 million tonnes of plastic waste every year. also, the report mentions that our oceans may have more plastic than fish by 2050.
About Zero Waste Europe:
Executive Director: Joan Marc Simon
Headquarters: Brussels, Belgium
International Plastic Bag free day 2022: FAQs
Which day is celebrated as no plastic day?
3rd July: International Plastic Bag Free Day (no plastic day) is observed on 3rd July.
Which country / Nation just announced a fee for plastic bags?
Taiwan bans all single-use plastics bags, straws, utensils, and cups by 2030.
Which country bans single-use plastic in 2021?
China has banned providing single-use plastic straws and stores in the major cities from providing plastic shopping bags on 1st January 2021.
For all the latest Updates, download PrepareExams App.