International Day of Non-violence 2022: Date, History and Significance – Every year, The International Day of Non-Violence is observed on October 2nd across the world to mark the birth anniversary of the Father of the Nation, Mahatma Gandhi. it is also known as Gandhi Jayanti in India. The day aims to spread awareness about the idea of non-violence either through education or any other methods.
- In 2022, India is celebrating the 153rd birth anniversary of the global peace icon who was born on 2 October 1869, in Porbandar in Gujarat.
- United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) passed the resolution to commemorate the International Day of Non-Violence on 15 June 2007 to ensure a culture of peace, tolerance, and understanding among people.
- The International Day of Non-Violence was first observed in the year 2007.
International Day of Non-Violence 2022: Theme
- The UN does not designate a yearly theme for International Day of Non-Violence.
- “Say No to Violence” is the essence of this day.
- but, the theme of International Day of Peace 2022 closely resonated with the idea of this day.
International Day of Non-Violence: History
- On June 15th, 2007, the United Nations General Assembly enacted a resolution to designate the day of October 2 as International Day of Non-Violence.
- The leader of the Indian Independence Movement, Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi served as an inspiration for social change and civil rights across the world.
- As per the UN website, “the resolution reaffirms ‘the universal relevance of the principle of non-violence and the desire ‘to secure a culture of peace, tolerance, understanding and non-violence”.
Gandhi Jayanti 2022
- GANDHI JAYANTI is celebrated in honour of Mahatma Gandhi, the man who pioneered the philosophy of non-violence.
- The day aims to spread the message of non-violence through public awareness and education.
- It is also celebrated with the hope of building a culture of peace, tolerance, understanding and non-violence.
International Day of Non-Violence: FAQs
When is the International Day of Non-Violence observed?
Every year, the International Day of Non-Violence is celebrated on October 2nd.
What is special on 2nd October?
2nd October commemorates the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi. Mahatma Gandhi was born on 2nd October 1869.
Which day celebrates International non-violence day?
United Nations General Assembly marked 2nd October as International Day of Non-violence in June 2007.
Who proposed the idea of the International Day of Non-Violence?
Iranian Nobel Laureate Shirin Ebadifirst proposed the idea of dedicating a day to non-violence, around the world in January 2004.
How do we celebrate International non-violence day?
On this day, steps are taken Read up on Gandhi, Find or organize an event, Go for a random act of kindness.
★★★★ You Can Also Read ★★★★
|Computer Awareness Quiz Questions Set (Banking)|
|Read Daily Current Affairs Topic Wise|
|Daily Current Affairs Quiz (Current GK Test)|
|Static Gk Quiz Questions and Answers|
******** End ********