International Day of Charity 2022: Theme, History, and Significance – Every year, The International Day of Charity is observed on September 5 across the world. this day was declared by the United Nations General Assembly in 2012 with the aim of sensitising people, NGOs, and stakeholders to help those in need by participating in philanthropic activities.
- the International Day of Charity also marks the death anniversary of Mother Teresa. She was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979 for her efforts in the fight against poverty and suffering.
International Day of Charity: History
- United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) adopted a resolution to declare September 5 as the International Day of Charity on December 17, 2012
- 44 UN member nations co-sponsored the resolution.
- The day of September 5 was selected to commemorate the death anniversary of Mother Teresa. Mother Teresa was honoured with Nobel Peace Prize in 1979 for “work undertaken in the struggle to overcome poverty and distress, which also constitute a threat to peace.”
- She was born Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu in 1910 in Greece’s Macedonia.
- she visited India and devoted her time to helping the distressed and needy in the year 1928.
- she established the Missionaries of Charity in Kolkata in 1950.
International Day of Charity 2022: Theme
- the United Nations recognized and adopted the ‘ 2030 Agenda on Sustainable Development ‘ in 2015 and as per the Agenda, eradicating poverty including extreme poverty is the greatest global challenge and requirement for sustainable development.
- The Sustainable Development Goals in the Agenda can be grouped into six categories: people, planet, prosperity, peace, and partnership.
International Day of Charity 2022: FAQs
Why is International Day of Charity celebrated?
Every year on 5 September, people observe the International Day of Charity to mark the death anniversary of Mother Teresa.
Why is International Charity Day observed commemorate the death anniversary of?
International Day of Charity This day is observed to spread awareness among people, NGOs, and stakeholders to assist those in need.
Whose death anniversary is celebrated as the International Day of Charity on 5th September every year?
The International Day of Charity is observed on 5 September because it is the death anniversary of Mother Teresa, who died on this day in 1997.
**** End ********
★★★★ You Can Also Read ★★★★
|Computer Awareness Quiz Questions Set (Banking)|
|Read Daily Current Affairs Topic Wise|
|Daily Current Affairs Quiz (Current GK Test)|
|Static Gk Quiz Questions and Answers|