International Day for Biological Diversity 2023: Theme, History, Significance, and Quotes– The International Day for Biological Diversity is celebrated on May 22 every year and is a global observance that emphasises the importance of biodiversity and its crucial role in sustaining life on Earth. It also serves as a reminder of the incredible diversity of species, ecosystems, and genetic resources that make our planet unique.
- Biodiversity contains the variety of plants, animals, microorganisms, and the ecosystems they inhabit.
- It is the foundation of our food, water, air, and overall well-being.
- The alarming rate of species extinction, habitat loss, and degradation pose a noteworthy threat to biodiversity.
- The main purpose of International Day for Biological Diversity is to raise awareness about these challenges and promote efforts to protect and conserve biodiversity.
- Its role is crucial in providing ecosystem services such as clean air and water, pollination, soil fertility, and climate regulation.
International Day for Biological Diversity 2023: Theme
- The Theme 2023 is “From Agreement to Action: Build Back Biodiversity”, is a continuation of the outcomes from COP 15.
- The theme of International Day for Biological Diversity 2022: “Building a shared future for all life”.
- The theme of 2021 World Biodiversity Day is “We’re part of the solution”.
- The theme of the International Day of Biological Diversity (IDB) 2020 is: “Our solutions are in nature”.
International Day for Biological Diversity 2023: History
- Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, state and government leaders wanted to make a strategy for sustainable development at the United Nations Conference on Environment and Development in the year 1992.
- In 1993, the Second Committee of the UN General Assembly created and designated the International Day for Biological Diversity.
- In December 2000, the UN General Assembly adopted the day of 22nd May as IDB (International Day for Biological Diversity) to mark the adoption of the text of the Convention on 22 May 1992 by the Nairobi Final Act of the Conference for the Adoption of the Agreed Text of the Convention on Biological Diversity.
International Day for Biological Diversity 2023: Quotes
- A lifetime can be spent in a Magellanic voyage around the trunk of a single tree. ― E. O. Wilson
- In planting trees, aim to perpetuate an ecosystem, not a plantation. ― Daniel Mathews
- The purpose of all diversity is companionship. That which desires companionship is Self. ― Wald Wassermann
- If we pollute the air, water and soil that keep us alive and well, and destroy the biodiversity that allows natural systems to function, no amount of money will save us. ― David Suzuki
- Biodiversity starts in the distant past and it points toward the future. ― Frans Lanting
- Collective human actions are transforming, even ravaging, the biosphere – perhaps irreversibly – through global warming and loss of biodiversity. ― Martin Rees
- We should preserve every scrap of biodiversity as priceless while we learn to use it and come to understand what it means to humanity. ― E. O. Wilson
- Through food, I’ve become more interested in the protection of soil, the way things are grown, and biodiversity. ― Mary McCartney
- Uniformity is not nature’s way; diversity is nature’s way. ― Vandana Shiva
- We share this planet with many species. It is our responsibility to protect them, both for their sakes and our own. ― Pamela A. Matson
★★★★ You Can Also Read ★★★★
|Computer Awareness Quiz Questions Set (Banking)|
|Read Daily Current Affairs Topic Wise|
|Daily Current Affairs Quiz (Current GK Test)|
|Static Gk Quiz Questions and Answers|
For all the latest Updates, download PrepareExams App.