Indian Architect B V Doshi honoured with Royal Gold Medal 2022 – Indian Architect Balkrishna Vithaldas Doshi has been honoured with the prestigious Royal Gold Medal 2022 by the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA), London, United Kingdom (UK).
- Doshi becomes the only one from India and was awarded both the Royal Gold Medal and the Pritzker Architecture Prize, often referred to as the Nobel Prize in architecture.
Who is Indian Architect B V Doshi
- B V Doshi is credited with designing some of the most iconic structures in Ahmedabad and others including Shreyas Comprehensive School Campus, Ahmedabad (1958-63); Atira Guest House, Ahmedabad (1958); The Institute of Indology, Ahmedabad (1962); Ahmedabad School of Architecture (1966 – renamed CEPT University in 2002); Tagore Hall and Memorial Theatre, Ahmedabad (1967); Premabhai Hall, Ahmedabad (1976); IIM Bangalore (1977-1992); Kanoria Centre for Arts, Ahmedabad (1984); and Amdavad ni Gufa (1994).
- He received Padma Shri in 1976 for science and engineering.
- In 2020, he was honoured with Padma Bhushan, India’s third-highest Civilian for his contribution to the field of architecture.
- He also won Pritzker Architecture Prize in 2018 (considered a Nobel Prize in Architecture).
Royal Gold Medal
- Royal Gold Medal is one of the world’s highest honours for architecture.
- The Royal Gold Medal is approved personally by Queen Elizabeth II of the UK.
- It is presented to a person or group of people who have had a significant influence either directly or indirectly on the advancement of architecture.