Hornby Scholarships 2023 – Hornby Scholarships is presented to experienced English language professionals including teachers, teacher-trainers, inspectors, and material writers who are not from the UK. The University of Warwick offers a scholarship to professionals the chance to study a one-year Master’s in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages).
- The scholarship program will include tuition fees, accommodation expenses, visa expenses, return air tickets, and approved language test costs.
- Candidates will be selected according to the ranks they secure in the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE examinations.
- The scholarship will offer financial aid only till the duration of the course, which is 1 year.
Hornby Scholarships is a full-scholarship program and is offered annually to international English Language teachers who have a graduate degree and work experience as a trainee or teachers.
Hornby Scholarships 2023 – Overview
|Scholarship Type||College-Specific, Merit-Based|
|Scholarship Offered by||Institution|
|Organization Name||British Council|
|Application Deadline||October 31st, 2023|
|No. of Scholarships||10|
|Scholarship Renewability||One Time Payment|
|International Students Eligible||Yes|
|Scholarship Website||https://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/sites/teacheng/files/Hornby Scholarships-Information-for-Applicants-2022.pdf|
Hornby Scholarships 2023 – Eligibility Criteria
Here are the eligibility criteria, that must be fulfilled for Hornby Scholarships:
- You must have three-year full-time English Language teaching experience and a UG degree
- UG degree must be equivalent to a bachelor’s degree in the United Kingdom.
- Candidates must have a minimum of 5 years of experience as an English language teacher or trainer.
- You must have worked in some developmental work as a trainer or manager.
- Candidates must be a citizen of the country from which they apply.
- Must have a Score well in the IELTS, TOEFL, or PTE examinations.
- A minimum of 6.5 GPA will be needed for the English language examinations.
- Must have managed the course in the English language.
Hornby Scholarships 2023 – Application Process
You will have to submit personal, academic, professional, referees details along with a supporting statement.
- full name, date of birth, gender, nationality, and country of residence Your contact details: email address, preferred address for correspondence in your home country, country, telephone number
- Details of each qualification you have, the class or level achieved, the institution, subject, and dates. Also indicate those courses which were entirely or mainly English medium – i.e. where the language of instruction or supervision was English
- Details of each position held since completing your tertiary education, starting from the most recent and working backward. Give the name of the position, the organization, and the dates you were employed. Your current employer’s details: name and address
- Details of two referees who will give references for you if you are long-listed for an interview – name, professional title or position, email address, length of time you have known the referee and his/her professional relationship with you.
This is an essential part of your application. If you pass the eligibility criteria your application will be evaluated based on your answers in this section. We are looking for candidates who can demonstrate that they would not only be able to cope with the demands of studying for an MA degree in the UK but who also have the potential to make a significant future contribution to English language teaching and teachers in their countries. We, therefore, look at the quality of your response from the perspective of where you are in your teaching/ELT career, your future potential, how well your expectations and qualities match the study program, and the level of your written English. Please aim to be concise, long answers are not necessarily better. You might consider preparing the answers in a Word doc before you enter them into the online application form.
- Describe your role and responsibilities, both in your current position and (if appropriate) in your previous positions
- Describe any development activity supporting other teachers or ELT professionals that you have delivered or helped deliver, for example, teacher training, professional development, writing materials, leading a teachers’ association, or professional activity group.
- What are the key challenges that (a) you personally face in your teaching, and (b) teachers of English in your country face more generally?
- In light of the challenges you have identified in your answer to Q3, what do you think would be the benefit of attending a UK Master’s course (a) to you personally, and (b) to ELT in your home country more generally? What role could you see yourself playing in tackling the challenges you’ve identified?
- Which areas of ELT are of particular interest to you and why?
Hornby Scholarships 2023 – Selection Process
Applicants will be selected by a four-stage process:
- Online application form – applicants submit the online application form for the initial assessment
- Interview – applicants who are successful at stage 1 are invited for an interview with the British Council either online or at the British Council office in the country of residence. The interviews this year are planned for 22 November – 19 December 2021.
- Application to university – applicants selected from the interview are invited to apply to the university for consideration
- University acceptance – if the university accepts the applicant the scholarship award is confirmed, and arrangements are made to arrive in the UK to begin study by 1 October 2022.