As per the Henley Passport Index 2023, the Indian passport ranks 85th in the list of most powerful passports in the world with a visa-free entry in 59 countries. It has slipped two spots from the 83rd rank in 2022.
- In the Henley Passport Index 2023, Japan topped the ranking to be the most powerful in the world, with a visa-free entry in 193 countries.
- South Korea and Singapore stand in second place.
- Germany and Spain jointly hold third place in the ranking with visa-free access to 190 destinations worldwide.
- The UK and the US remain in 6th and 7th places, with scores of 187 and 186, respectively.
- Afghanistan’s passport was the worst passport
What is the Henley Passport Index?
- The Henley Passport Index is a ranking of all the world’s passports as per the number of destinations their holders can access without a prior visa.
- The Index is based on data from the International Air Transport Association (IATA) and maintains a large travel information database and is enhanced by Henley & Partners’ research team.