Daily Current Affairs 20th January 2023 in English: Today GK Updates for Bank Exam – Here, you will find Daily Current Affairs events that will help you to get more marks in Banking, Insurance, SSC, Railways, UPSC, CLAT, and all State Government Exams. also, get Latest Current Affairs Quiz and Monthly Current Affairs 2023 PDF to crack your exams.
The first Global Tourism Investors’ Summit to be held in New Delhi
Ministry of Tourism will conduct the country’s first Global Tourism Summit in New Delhi from 10-12 April 2023 under India’s G20 Presidency, where all G20 member countries will be invited to participate. Global Tourism Investors’ Summit, India will showcase opportunities for investment and trade in various segments of tourism such as theme parks, adventure tourism, and wellness tourism.
41st session of the Network Planning Group (NPG) held in New Delhi
The Network Planning Group (NPG)’s 41st session was held in New Delhi on 18 January 2023 and was headed by the Special Secretary of the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT). NPG evaluated all three projects and recommended implementation with certain suggestions to address last-mile connectivity and achieve the right multimodal logistics share. The projects include intermodal infrastructure, the creation of multi-modal logistics park facilities and other terminal infrastructure related to railways and roadways.
Indian Army Organises Sainya Ranakshetram 2.0 – A Cyber Threat Seminar Cum Workshop
The Indian Army organised the second edition of the Hackathon aptly named “SAINYA RANAKSHETRAM 2.0” from October 2022 to January 2023 under the aegis of HQ Army Training Command (ARTRAC). “SAINYA RANAKSHETRAM 2.0” aims to seek solutions to operational cyber challenges and to jump-start and telescope the development time for innovative solutions in the field of Cyber Security.
- The prize winners of the event were honoured by Gen Manoj Pande, Chief of the Army Staff during a virtual function on 17 January 2023.
- It aimed to enhance the standard of training in domains of Cyber Deterrence, Security Software Coding, Electro Magnetic Spectrum Operations (EMSO) and Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning (AI/ ML).
- Secure software code – Aravinda Hariharan M, Cyber Security Activist, Coimbatore
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Operations (EMSO) – Nishant Rathi, Colonel Commandant, Army Headquarters Computer Centre
- Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning – Master Mithil Salunge, 15 years old 10th class student at Gyan Mata Vidya Vihar, Nanded, Maharashtra
- Cyber prevention – Mr Shaksham Jaiswal is a B.E student from MVSR College of Engineering, Hyderabad
Amazon back as world’s most valued brand
Amazon has topped as the world’s most valuable brand despite its brand value falling 15% this year from $350.3 billion to $299.3 billion. As per the brand valuation consultancy Brand Finance’s report, “Global 500 2023”, Amazon becomes No 1, its brand value has fallen by over $50 billion this year and its rating dropped from AAA+ to AAA.
- Apple (brand value down 16% to $297.5 billion from $355.1 billion) has, meanwhile, dropped to the 2nd slot to be ranked the world’s second most valuable brand.
- Samsung Group (brand value down 7% to $99.7 billion), Alibaba.com (down 56% to $10.0 billion), Facebook (down 42% to $59.0 billion) and WeChat (down 19% to $50.2 billion).
Top 10 most valuable brand in the world
|Samsung Group||$99.7 billion|
Pakistan’s economy South Asia’s weakest
The World Bank predicts Pakistan’s economic growth to slow further to 2% during the current year. Pakistan’s GDP growth rate is to improve to 3.2% in 2024. The report reasoned devastating floods in 2022 as a reason for the precarious economic situation in the country. the report shows a “sharp, long-lasting slowdown” with global growth expected at 1.7% this year.
16th edition of Jaipur Literature Festival begins in Jaipur
The 16th edition of the Jaipur Literature Festival began in Jaipur on 19th January 2023 and will conclude on January 23, 2023. The festival will feature over 250 speakers from 20 Indian and 14 international languages and from the field of art, literature and culture from around the world.
- This 2023 themes of the festival include the climate crisis, G20, economics, geopolitics, the Russia-Ukraine conflict, Indo-China relations, agriculture, health, and energy.
Dev Raj Kimire was elected as Speaker of Nepal
The election for the new Speaker of the Nepali Parliament was held on 19 January 2023. 2 candidates participated in this competition. CPN-UML Dev Raj Khimire was formally appointed as the party’s candidate and Ishwari Newpane as the Nepali Congress candidate.
Nepalese ophthalmologist Dr Sanduk Ruit wins Bahrain’s ISA Award for Service to Humanity
Himalayan Cataract Project Co-Founder Dr Sanduk Ruit won the ISA Award for Service to Humanity, a top civilian award in Bahrain. The award includes a cash prize of USD 1 million, a certificate of merit and a gold medal.
- Dr Sanduk Ruit is a pioneer in delivering high-quality microsurgical procedures in remote eye camps.
- He made modern eye care affordable and accessible to countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America.
- He is known as the “God of Sight” to have saved 1,20,000 eyesight.
- He is the recipient of the Padma Shri Award by the GoI, The National Order of Merit of Bhutan and the Ramon Magsaysay Award.
TMB Bank wins ‘Best Small Bank Award’
Tamilnad Mercantile Bank (TMB) won the ‘Best Small Bank Award’ in the ‘Best Banks Survey for the year 2022’ under the category of banks with a book size of less than ₹1 lakh crore and done by Business Today-KPMG (BT-KPMG Best banks survey). The BT-KPMG conducts this survey and awards the best banks for the past 27 years with 37 parameters for declaring a bank as an awardee.
Tamilnad Mercantile Bank (TMB)
- It is a 101-year-old and one of the renowned old private sector banks.
- It’s headquarters id located in Thoothukudi.
- It has 511 branches and 12 Regional Offices across 16 States and four Union Territories and serves more than 5 million customers.
“Odalam Vanga” Book by Tamil Nadu Health Minister
The former captain of the Indian cricket team Krishnamachari Srikanth published ‘Come! The English version of the book ‘Let’s Run Odalam Vanga’. On March 8, 2021, The Tamil version of the same book ‘Odalaam Vanga’ was released.
- ‘Let’s Run Odalam Vanga’ book highlights a fascinating account of Mr. Subramanian’s physical, emotional and historical journey during his marathon run across Tamil Nadu, India and the world.
International Cricket Council (ICC) has released the ODI rankings
The International Cricket Council (ICC) released the ODI rankings. the ODI rankings batsmen ranking list, Babar Azam of Pakistan is at the number one position. followed by Rassie van der Dusen (South Africa) and De Kock (South Africa) have been placed in 2nd and 3rd position respectively. India’s Virat Kohli reached to the 4th spot (Virat Kohli scored 283 runs including 2 centuries in the recent ODI series against Sri Lanka.)
ODI Bowlers Ranking
- Trend Boult (New Zealand)
- Hazlewood (Australia)
- Siraj (India).
ODI All-rounders Ranking
- Shakib Al Hasan (Bangladesh) – 1st Place
- Muhammad Nabi (Afghanistan) – 2nd place,
- Mehdi Hasan (Bangladesh) – 3rd place.
Assamese poet Nilamani Bhugan passes away at 89
Famous Assamese poet and Jnan Peetha awardee Nilamani Bhukan died at the age of 89 due to ill health on 19th January 2023. Nilamani Bhukan was born on 10th September 1933 in Tergaon, Kolagat district. He was one of the most celebrated poets of Assam and received the country’s highest literary award, the 56th Jnanpith for the year 2021 on 11th April 2022. His notable works are ‘Xurjya Henu Naami Aahe Ei Nodiyedi’, ‘Kabita’, and ‘Gulapi Jamur Lagna’.
- In 1981, He was awarded Sahitya Akademi Award in Assamese for his poetry collection, Kavita (Kobita).
- In 1990, He was awarded the Padma Shri by the Government of India and received the Sahitya Akademi Fellowship, the highest literary honour in India, given by Sahitya Akademi, India’s National Academy of Letters in 2002.
- In 1998, he was elected as an ‘Emeritus Fellow’ for a period of two years by the Cultural Department, Govt. of India
- Assam Sahitya Sabha also conferred the ‘Sahityacharya’ honour to the renowned Assamese poet Nilamani Phookan.
Penguin Awareness Day 2023
Every year, Penguin Awareness Day is observed on January 20 across the world. the day aims to raise awareness on this crucial matter, and also enjoy fun penguin-themed activities.
★★★★ You Can Also Read ★★★★
|Computer Awareness Quiz Questions Set (Banking)|
|Read Daily Current Affairs Topic Wise|
|Daily Current Affairs Quiz (Current GK Test)|
|Static Gk Quiz Questions and Answers|
For all the latest Updates, download PrepareExams App.