Daily Current Affairs 18th January 2023 in English: Today GK Updates for Bank Exam – Here, you will find Daily Current Affairs events that will help you to get more marks in Banking, Insurance, SSC, Railways, UPSC, CLAT, and all State Government Exams. also, get Latest Current Affairs Quiz and Monthly Current Affairs 2023 PDF to crack your exams.
Sudarsan Pattnaik’s sculpture recognised as ‘world’s largest sand hockey stick’
A sculpture has been recognised as the ‘world’s largest sand hockey stick’ by World Records India, a not-for-profit organisation. A sculpture was created by eminent sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik on the occasion of the ongoing Men’s Hockey World Cup in the state.
- The sculpture is a 105-foot-long sand sculpture with 5,000 hockey balls on the banks of the Mahanadi River in Cuttack.
PM to inaugurate 2nd phase of Saansad Khel Mahakumbh 2022-23
On 18th January 2023, Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the second phase of Saansad Khel Mahakumbh 2022-23 in Basti District, Uttar Pradesh through video conferencing. The Khel Mahakumbh will conduct diverse competitions in both indoor and outdoor sports like wrestling, kabaddi, kho kho, basketball, football, hockey, chess, badminton, and table tennis.
- Along with it, competitions in essay writing, painting, and rangoli making will be conducted during the Khel Mahakumbh.
Saansad Khel Mahakumbh –
- Saansad Khel Mahakumbh has been being conducted in Basti District by Lok Sabha MP from Basti, Harish Dwivedi since 2021.
- It is held in two phases.
- The Khel Mahakumbh is a novel initiative, aimed at providing an opportunity and platform to the youth of District Basti and neighbouring areas to showcase their sporting talent and motivate them to take sport as a career option.
“VIRAASAT’ – Celebrating Handloom Home Décor to begin from January 20
The Ministry of Textiles will conduct “VIRAASAT’ – Celebrating Handloom Home Décor – Special Handloom Expo – at Handloom Haat, New Delhi and VIRAASAT Expo will be held between 20th January and 30 January 2023.
- It will showcase the Home Décor products made by Handloom.
- Finance Minister Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman inaugurated the Sari Festival on 16th December 2022.
Military Tattoo & Tribal Dance Festival to be held in New Delhi
Military Tattoo & Tribal Dance Festival ‘Aadi Shaurya – Parv Parakram Ka’ will be held at Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, New Delhi on January 23 & 24, 2023 to mark the 126th birth anniversary of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose (celebrated as Parakram Diwas).
- Military Tattoo & Tribal Dance Festival ‘Aadi Shaurya – Parv Parakram Ka’ will be a two-day festival and it will showcase the prowess of the Armed Forces and the ethnic beauty of India’s tribal culture.
- ‘Parv Parakram ka’ combines culture with courage in an impactful manner.
- It will include a Military Tattoo (Paramotor Gliding, Hot Air Balloon, Horse Show, Motor Cycle Display, Air Warrior Drill, Navy Band) and an hour of traditional dance performances (Khukhri Dance, Gatka, Mallakhamb, Kalaripaytu, Thangta) by tribal artists from across the country.
Vietnam President Nguyen Xuan Phuc announces his resignation due to corruption scandals
In Vietnam, President Nguyen Xuan Phuc has announced his resignation due to the ongoing anti-corruption drive. The anti-corruption drive led to several ministers being fired in Vietnam. prior to this, two deputy prime ministers who served under President Phuc resigned.
- Nguyen Xuan Phuc was appointed as a resident since 2021.
- He also served as prime minister of Vietnam from 2016 until April 2021.
Sri Lanka Cabinet approves President’s proposal to provide 10 kg rice to 2 million low-income families
Sri Lanka’s Cabinet has approved the proposal of providing 10 kilograms of rice per month to 2 million low-income families. President Ranil Wickremasinghe gave the proposal to ensure food security for 2 months.
- It will cover beneficiaries of the island’s national development programme for poverty alleviation, Samurdhi.
- The Govt will spend a total estimated cost of 8,040 million rupees which includes 6,200 million rupees for the purchase of 61,000 MT of paddy.
- District Secretaries and Divisional Secretaries will run the programme with the assistance of small and medium-scale paddy mills.
- Rice will be distributed among the identified Samurdhi beneficiaries including low-income earners using the existing system.
India-Bangladesh Friendship pipeline to supply diesel
The India-Bangladesh Friendship pipeline (IBFPL) will be started in June 2023 to supply diesel to Bangladesh on an experimental basis. About 131.5-kilometre long pipeline has been constructed for importing diesel from India. Which, the 126.5-kilometre pipeline is in Bangladesh and 5 kilometres is in India.
- The international pipeline will carry diesel from the Siliguri-based marketing terminal of the Numaligarh Refinery Limited to the Parbatipur depot of Bangladesh Petroleum Corporation (BPC).
- It has a capacity of one million metric tonnes per annum (MMTPA).
Pune will host tribal fair promoting artwork, handicrafts from Melghat
Melghat Support Group, along with Amanora Yess Foundation will conduct a tribal fair – ‘Changing Melghat’ – at Amanora Mall West Block in Pune’s Hadapsar from January 21 to 26, aimed at empowering the tribal community of the Melghat region in Maharashtra’s Amravati district and providing them with a platform to promote their artworks and handicraft items.
- A tribal fair – ‘Changing Melghat’ will be held from 10 am to 10 pm at Amanora Mall West Block in Pune’s Hadapsar from January 21 to 26.
- Entry to the tribal fair will be free.
- The exhibition will showcase of the culture and skills of the Melghat tribal community, Aniruddha Deshpande.
- It will also showcase colourful tribal artworks such as necklaces, bracelets and bags made from recycled wood and clothes.
Melghat Support Group
- Melghat Support Group was formed in 2015 to support the activities carried out by the Sampoorna Bamboo Kendra in the Melghat region.
- It aims to empower the tribal people of the region.
- Late Sunil Deshpande and his wife Dr Nirupama Deshpande formed Sampoorna Bamboo Kendra to be trained people in bamboo handicrafts.
- It also founded an education centre for developing Indian ancient knowledge regarding tradition, culture, art, science and folk art using artisans from Melghat.
Telangana CM to launch ‘Kanti Velugu’ second phase in Khammam
Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao will launch the second phase of the Kanti Velugu initiative, the Eye Screening programme in Khammam district. it can be the world’s largest eye screening programme.
- Free eye screening will be held at the special health camps for 100 days with 1500 medical teams under the Kanti Velugu.
- The first phase of Kanti Velugu was executed for 8 months by 827 health teams.
Bengaluru gets its first evening post office
India Post inaugurated Bengaluru’s first evening post office on 16th January 2023 and is located on Museum Road, the post office offers services ranging from speed post to Aadhaar. The office will be operational in six days a week from 1 pm to 9 pm and will offer services of speed post, parcel booking, parcel packing, Aadhaar services, picture postcards and stamp services.
- In November 2022, The first evening post office was established in Karnataka’s Dharwad and got successful, one was proposed in Bengaluru.
- The post office was refurbished at a cost of Rs 3 lakh.
- people can purchase augmented postcards.
- Scanning postcards will showcase the history of the picture.
- The entire post office has been also vibrantly painted with the history of post offices.
Vallalar Biodiversity Reserves Project in Tamil Nadu
Chief Minister M.K.Stalin launched Vallalar Biodiversity Reserves Project in Tamil Nadu on behalf of the Animal Husbandry, Fisheries and Fishery Welfare Department for the care of helpless, abandoned and injured animals roaming on roads.
- It aims to provide financial assistance to homeless abandoned and injured animals roaming on the streets, various animal care NGOs, animal dhow cleaning societies, and animal service organizations
- The state Govt has also allocated Rs. 2 crores 14 lakhs for this scheme.
Punjab CM Bhagwant Mann orders closure of Liquor Plant in Ferozepur
Punjab Chief Minister, Bhagwant Mann has ordered the closure of the Liquor Plant in Ferozepur. Farmers were protesting against the Malbros liquor plant for over six months because the factory was allegedly causing serious damage to underground water, air, and the environment.
WDRA and SBI signed an MoU to facilitate farmers in getting loans at low-interest rates
Warehousing Development Regulatory Authority (WDRA) and the State Bank of India (SBI) have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to facilitate farmers in getting loans at low-interest rates. The MoU will help in promoting awareness about the new loan product called Produce Marketing Loan to exclusively fund against e-NWRs (electronic Negotiable Warehouse Receipt) with features such as Nil processing fee, No Additional collateral and attractive interest rates.
P Raveendran assumes charge as PCCM of Southern Railway
P Raveendran assumed charge as the Principal Chief Commercial Manager (PCCM) of Southern Railway (SR). P Raveendran has served as SR’s Chief Claims Officer. he also served as Chairman of the Chennai Port Trust (now Chennai Port Authority); SR’s Chief Freight Transportation Manager; Group General Manager of Concor and Divisional Railway Manager, Khurda Road.
Chief Minister Stalin presents awards to scholars, writers and leaders
Chief Minister M.K. Stalin gave various awards of the Tamil Development Department to scholars and leaders who contributed to the language, literature and social development.
- Iraniyan N.K. Ponnusamy was honored with the Thiruvalluvar Award for 2023.
- Perarignar Anna Award for 2022 was given to former Tamil Nadu Congress Committee president E.V.K.S. Elangovan.
- Mahakavi Bharathiyar Award to historian A.R. Venkatachalapathy,
- Bharathidasan Award to Wallajah Vallavan,
- Thiru. Vi. Ka. Award to Po. Velsamy, K.A.P. Viswanatham Award to poet Metha
- Devaneya Pavanar Award to R. Mathivanan.
- The Thanthai Periyar Award of the Backward Classes, Most Backward Classes and Minorities Welfare Department for 2022 was given to Kavignar Kali Poonguntran,
- the Dr. Ambedkar Award of the Adi Dravidar and Tribal Welfare Department was given to writer S.V. Rajadurai.
National Peking Duck Day 2023
Every year, National Peking Duck Day is observed on January 18th and the day honours the dish that has been prepared in China since the Imperial Era and that hails from Beijing. Peking duck is believed a treat because of its rich flavour and elaborate processing. The bird for this dish is the white Peking duck or the Pekin duck in the United States.
National Michigan Day 2023
Every year, National Michigan Day is celebrated on January 18. Michigan is fondly called ‘The Great Lakes State’ because it is bordered by four of the five Great North American Lakes — Michigan, Huron, Erie, Ontario, and Superior. it spreads across lower and upper peninsulas with over 60,000 ponds and inland lakes.
- Michigan refers to the three largest automobile manufacturers — General Motors, Ford, and Fiat Chrysler.
- Michigan name comes from the Ojibwe word “mishigami,” meaning “large water” or “large lake,”.
- It is a state located in the Great Lakes region of the United States.
National Winnie the Pooh Day 2023
National Winnie the Pooh Day is observed on January 18th commemorating author A.A. Milne’s birthday in 1882.
National Thesaurus Day 2023
National Thesaurus Day is celebrated on January 18 every year. the day also honours Peter Mark Roget, the author of Roget’s Thesaurus, who was born on this day in 1779. Roget titled the book “Thesaurus of English Words and Phrases Classified and Arranged so as to Facilitate the Expression of Ideas and Assist in Literary Composition.”
Who is Peter Mark Roget?
- Peter Mark Roget was born on 18 January 1779 and died on 12 September 1869.
- He was a British physician, natural theologian, lexicographer, and founding secretary of The Portico Library.
★★★★ You Can Also Read ★★★★
|Computer Awareness Quiz Questions Set (Banking)
|Read Daily Current Affairs Topic Wise
|Daily Current Affairs Quiz (Current GK Test)
|Static Gk Quiz Questions and Answers
For all the latest Updates, download PrepareExams App.