Air Marshal Saju Balakrishnan AVSM, VM Takes Over As 17th Commander-In-Chief, A&N Command – Air Marshal Saju Balakrishnan, AVSM, VM assumed charge as the 17th Commander-in-Chief of the Andaman and Nicobar Command (CINCAN) on 1st May 2023. Air Marshal Balakrishnan will serve as the 17th Commander-in-Chief of the Andaman and Nicobar Command (CINCAN)and has replaced Lt Gen Ajai Singh.
Who is Air Marshal Saju Balakrishnan?
- He is a distinguished alumnus of the National Defence Academy Khadakwasla.
- He was commissioned into the fighter stream of the Indian Air Force (IAF) in 1986.
- He holds an experience of over 3200 accident-free fighter flying hours on various variants of MIG-21 and Kiran aircraft.
- He also had served as CO of a Bison Squadron, the first Commanding Officer of an AWACS Squadron, and Air Officer Commanding at the prestigious AF Station at Jodhpur.
- He was also appointed as the Senior Air Staff Officer at the IAF Training Command at Bengaluru.
- He is the recipient of the Presidential Awards of the Ati Vishisht Seva Medal and Vayu Sena Medal.
Andaman and Nicobar Command (ANC)
- The Andaman and Nicobar Command (ANC) is the only Joint-services Command in India.
- It serves as a model for the country’s planned theaterisation of Army, Navy, and Air Force capabilities.