World Hepatitis Day 2021: Date, Significance, Theme
Every year, World Hepatitis Day is observed on 28 July to raise awareness of viral hepatitis. hepatitis is an inflammation of the liver that causes severe liver disease and hepatocellular cancer.
World Hepatitis Day 2021: History
- The day of 28th July marks the birthday of Nobel-prize winning scientist Dr Baruch Blumberg, who has discovered hepatitis B virus (HBV). apart from this, Blumberg also developed a diagnostic test and vaccine for the virus.
World Hepatitis Day 2021: Theme
- The theme of World Hepatitis Day 2021 is “Hepatitis can’t wait”,
- The theme highlights the urgency of efforts needed to eliminate hepatitis as a public health threat by 2030. With a person dying every 30 seconds from a hepatitis-related illness — even in the current COVID-19 crisis — we can’t wait to act on viral hepatitis.
What is the Hepatitis
- Hepatitis is an inflammation of the liver that causes a series of health problems which can lead to death.
- There are 5 main strains of the hepatitis virus A, B, C, D, and E.
- Hepatitis B and C are known as the most common cause of deaths, has accounted for over 1.3 million deaths each year.
For all the latest Updates, download PrepareExams App.