Today Top Current Affairs 14 August 2021
14 August 2021 Daily GK Update, Current Affairs for Bank Exam – Daily Current Affairs 14th August 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related govt exams, covering the top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News and International Current News.
TAKE TEST – Click on Daily Current Affairs Quiz 14 August 2021
PM Modi launches ‘Vehicle Scrappage Policy’
On 13th August 2021, Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi attended and addressed the Investor Summit in Gujarat via video conference. the Summit was held to set up vehicle scrapping infrastructure in Ahmedabad., Gujarat.
- Also, PM Modi has launched the National Automobile Scrappage Policy.
- The new policy will invite investment for setting up vehicle scrapping infrastructure under the Voluntary Vehicle-Fleet Modernization Program.
- PM Modi described the policy as a ‘waste-to-wealth mission’
- also, he has asked the youth & start-ups to join this programme.
Vehicle scrapping facility
- Gujarat government and auto major Tata Motors jointly will set up a vehicle scrapping facility in Ahmedabad.
- The scrappage centre will be for both passenger and commercial vehicles.
- The center will recycle up to 36,000 vehicles a year.
India’s renewable energy capacity crosses 100 gigawatts
India’s renewable energy capacity has crossed the milestone of 100 gigawatts (GW) and has become 4th national in the world in terms of installed RE capacity, 5th in solar, and 4th in wind in terms of installed capacity,
- India has also enhanced its ambition to install 450 GW of renewable energy capacity by 2030.
CM Kejriwal launches faceless transport services in Delhi
Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal has launched the transport department’s initiative ‘faceless’ services. Under the initiative, people can apply and get various transport-related documents like registration certificates as well as undertake learner’s driving license test online, from the comfort of their homes without visiting a motor licensing office (MLO).
- With this, Delhi has become the first state in the country to bring all transport-related services online, thereby allowing people to save time and money spent on visiting MLOs.
Tamil Nadu Govt in consultation with Germany to sign MoU to procure 2,500 buses for public transport
The Tamil Nadu Government is in consultation with Germany to sign a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to procure 2,500 buses for public transport.
- The free travel scheme has benefited at least nine lakh women in the state.
- Govt allocated an additional allocation of 150 crore rupees for the Transport Department.
Narendra Singh Tomar addresses 6th SCO Meet of Agriculture Ministers
On 12th August 2021, Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare Shri Narendra Singh Tomar addressed the 6th meeting of Agriculture Ministers of the member countries of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) through video conferencing.
- The meetings were held under the chairmanship of Tajikistan in Dushanbe.
- Tomar speaks on the taking several steps being taken by the Government of India to develop innovative technologies and their dissemination from Lab to Land to empower rural youth, farmers, and farm women.
Agritech startup Arya partners State Bank of Mauritius-India for Commodity Financing
Agritech start-up Arya has tied up with SBM Bank India for commodity financing. The Arya platform helps users to select ancillary services such as warehouse management, access to finance, quality testing, storage protection services, and connecting produce to buyers.
- SBM Bank India is a part of the Mauritius-based SBM group.
CoinDCX becomes India’s first crypto unicorn with a $90 million fundraise
CoinDCX has become the first Indian cryptocurrency exchange to enter the unicorn club with a $90-million (Rs 668-crore) series-C funding round. The fund-raise has been led by Facebook co-founder Eduardo Saverin’s B Capital.
- This funding round raises CoinDCX’s valuation to $1.1 billion (Rs 8,150 crore) and has become the first Indian cryptocurrency exchange to reach unicorn status.
- This round of fundraising includes the participation of returning investors such as Coinbase Ventures, Polychain Capital, Block.one, Jump Capital among others, alongside other veteran investors.
Union Home Secretary Ajay Kumar Bhalla Gets One-year Extension
Union Home Secretary Ajay Kumar Bhalla has given a one-year extension. his tenure was to be ended in the next week. The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has given its approval extension in service to Bhalla as Home Secretary, Ministry of Home Affairs for a period of one year beyond the present tenure i.e. 22 August 2021.
About Ajay Kumar Bhalla
- Bhalla is a 1984 batch IAS officer of the Assam-Meghalaya cadre
- He was appointed as the Home Secretary in August 2019.
- Prior to this, he was given the extension in service of Bhalla as the Home Secretary beyond the date of his superannuation i.e. November 30, 2020 up to August 22, 2021.
Indian team wins US Innovation Award
SoftWorthy has won the prestigious National Science Foundation Innovation-Corps (NSF I-Corps) Teams Award in the United States.
- SoftWorthy’s award-winning project focuses on developing state-of-the-art computational methods for ‘stochastic modeling, design simulation, and sensitivity analysis of electronic devices like printed-circuit-boards (PCBs), which are important for the growth of novel technological applications including driverless vehicles and energy-efficient smart buildings.
Sciene and Technology
Pakistan successfully test-fires nuclear-capable surface-to-surface ballistic missile
On 12th August 2021, Pakistan successfully test-fired a nuclear-capable surface-to-surface ballistic missile. this missile can get the target up to 290 kilometres range.
- The launch of the ballistic missile ‘Ghaznavi’ (बैलिस्टिक मिसाइल गजनवी) aimed to ensure the operational readiness of Army Strategic Forces Command, besides re-validating technical parameters of the weapon system.
“Zohra! A Biography In Four Acts” book by Ritu Menon
Recently, the new book titled “Zohra! A Biography In Four Acts” authored by Ritu Menon, has been released.
- It is a Biography of Zohra Segal who has worked on stage, in film, and on television and was successful abroad when few Indian actors were.
- book marks her remarkable journey — from travelling to Germany to learn modern dance at the age of eighteen and to playing the unconventional grandmother well past the age of eighty.
India sends a 54-member contingent for Tokyo Paralympic Games 2020
On 12th August 2021, India has sent the largest ever Indian contingent of 54 para-sportspersons for Tokyo Paralympics 2020. This is the biggest-ever contingent India is sending to any Paralympic.
- 54 athletes from India will be competing in 9 sports disciplines including Archery, Athletics (Track and Field), Badminton, Swimming, Weight Liftingamong others.
Stafanie Taylor and Shakib Al Hasan named ICC Player of the Month for July 2021
On 11th August 2021, The International Cricket Council (ICC) has announced the winners of the ICC Player of the Month Awards for July 2021.
Men’s Player of the Month of July – Shakib Al Hasan (Bangladesh all-rounder)
- Shakib has contributed to Bangladesh to all three formats of the game to win the series against Zimbabwe last month.
- He scored 96 unbeaten runs as Bangladesh defeated Zimbabwe by three wickets in the second ODI at the Harare Sports Club.
Women’s Player of the Month of July – Stafanie Taylor (West Indies skipper)
- Stafanie has made 175 runs with a strike rate of 79.18 and took three wickets with an economy rate of 3.72.
Former international hockey player Gopal Bhengra passes away at 75
Former international hockey player Gopal Bhengra (गोपाल भेंगरा, एक हॉकी खिलाड़ी) has passed away at the age of 75. he was suffering from a prolonged illness. he was part of the 1978 Men’s Hockey World Cup Indian squad.
- He represented India at the 1978 World Cup in Argentina.
- He also played against Argentina and Pakistan in the World Cup.
- Bhengra had faced many hardships and at one time even taken up crushing stones for a livelihood.