Navy inducts India’s first stealth guided-missile destroyer “INS Visakhapatnam”
India’s first stealth guided-missile destroyer named “INS Visakhapatnam” has been formally commissioned into the Indian Navy at the Naval Dockyard in Mumbai on 21st November 2021. the Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh was also present during commissioning.
- INS Visakhapatnam is a P15B stealth-guided missile destroyer, and has been indigenously designed by the Indian Navy’s in-house organisation Directorate of Naval Design and constructed by Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited.
About INS Visakhapatnam
- Visakhapatnam is equipped with an array of weapons and sensors.
- It has also supersonic surface-to-surface and surface-to-air missiles, medium and short-range guns, anti-submarine rockets and advanced electronic warfare and communication suits.
- INS VISAKHAPATNAM has the ability to combat under nuclear, biological and chemical (NBC) warfare conditions.
- The Ship is 163 metres in length and has a displacement of over 7400 tons.
- The Directorate of Naval Design, and constructed by Mazagon Dock Limited has Designed the ship.
Role of INS Visakhapatnam
- The Ship will help in tackling Sea challenges like piracy, terrorism, illegal smuggling of arms and narcotics, human trafficking, illegal fishing and damage to the environment and so on.
Rs 35,000 crore Project 15B
- Under the Rs 35,000 crore Project 15B, the ship “INS Visakhapatnam” is the first stealth guided-missile destroyer and a total of four warships will be designed and developed under the project.
- The next ship will be commissioned in 2023 and the other two is expected to join the Indian Navy by 2025.
★★★★ You Can Also Read ★★★★
|Computer Awareness Quiz Questions Set (Banking)|
|Read Daily Current Affairs Topic Wise|
|Daily Current Affairs Quiz (Current GK Test)|
|Static Gk Quiz Questions and Answers|
For all the latest Updates, download PrepareExams App.