National Sports Day 2021: History, Significance
Every year, National Sports Day is celebrated on 29 August in India to commemorate the birth anniversary of Indian hockey legend, Major Dhyan Chand. The National Sports Day is also called Rashtriya Khel Divas and this day was celebrated for the first time in 2012.
- The main objective of this day is to spread awareness about the importance of physical activities and sports in life.
National Sports Day: History
- The First National Sports Day was observed by the people in India on 29 August 2012.
- It also honour the legacy of Major Dhyan Chand and acknowledge the importance of sports in our life.
National Sports Day: Quotes
- People used to say that boxing is for men and not for women and I thought I will show them some day. I promised myself and I proved myself. – Mary Kom
- Sports teaches you to overcome failure, make you humble, keeps you fit and so many more things in life. It is very important for every human being to make sports an integral part of his/her life. – Harmeet Desai
- I don’t play to prove a point to anyone. I play for my country and myself. If I feel I have the ability to achieve something, I’ll keep trying to succeed. – Sania Mirza
Indian hockey legend, Major Dhyan Chand
- Major Dhyan Chand was India’s greatest hockey player and played an important role in completing their first hat-trick of Olympic gold medals with victories at the 1928, 1932, and 1936 Summer Olympics.
- During his career, Dhyan Chand represented India in 185 matches and scored over 400 goals from 1926 to 1948
- Dhyan Chand was popularly known as “The Wizard” for his magical touch, superb control, creativity and extraordinary goal-scoring feats.
For all the latest Updates, download PrepareExams App.