National Engineer’s Day 2022: Theme, History – In India, Engineer’s Day is observed on September 15 every year in order to commemorate the birth anniversary of the greatest Indian Engineer, Sir Moksha Gundam Visvesvaraya. Engineer’s Day pays tributes to Bharat Ratna Visvesvaraya who was known as the ‘Father of Modern Mysore’.
- The day also recognises the contribution of engineers to the development of the nation.
National Engineers Day: History
- Sir Mokshagundam Visvesvaraya was born on September 15, 1861 in Karnataka.
- He studied at the University of Madras Bachelor of Arts.
- He decided to change career paths and completed a diploma in civil engineering at the College of Science in Pune.
- The creation of ‘block systems’ is attributed to Sir MV. He patented and installed an irrigation system with water floodgates at a reservoir near Pune to raise the water supply level and storage.
National Engineer’s Day: Theme
- The theme for Engineers Day 2022 has not been announced yet. In 2021 Engineers Day theme was “Engineering for A Healthy Planet- Celebrating the UNESCO Engineering Report.”
- in 2020, the theme was ‘Engineers for a Self-Reliant India.’
About the Sir Mokshagundam Visvesvaray:
- Mokshagundam Visvesvaraya was a prolific civic engineer, educationist, economist, and scholar of the 20th century.
- Sir Mokshagundam Visvesvaraya was born on September 15, 1861, in Karnataka.
- Visvesvaraya studied Bachelor of Arts(BA) from the University of Mysore and civil engineering from the College of Science in Pune.
- Sir Mokshagundam Vishweshvaraya (Also called Sir MV) began his career as an assistant engineer in the Public Works Department of the Government of Bombay. where, he played an important role in technical projects in Mysore, Hyderabad, Odisha, and Maharashtra.
- Later, in 1912, he served as the Diwan of Mysore.
- He also had served as a chief engineer.
- Mokshagundam built the famous Krishna Raja Sagara Dam which was one of his engineering projects.
- He also founded the Government Engineering College in Bengaluru in 1917.
- Apart from this, he served as the chief engineer of the flood protection system in Hyderabad.
- Sir Mokshagundam Vishweshvaraya has penned various books including ‘Reconstructing India’ and ‘Planned Economy of India’.
- In 1955, Sir Mokshagundam Visvesvaraya was honoured with Bharat Ratna Award for his contributions to industrial, economic, and social projects.
- He was honoured with the British Knighthood by the then King George VV, and ‘Sir” was added before his name.
National Engineer’s Day 2022: FAQs
When is National Engineers Day observed in India?
In India, Engineer’s Day is celebrated on 15th September every year
Who is called the Father of Modern Mysore?
Sir Mokshagundam Visvesvaraya (Sir MV) is called the Father of Modern Mysore.
Why Engineers Day is celebrated?
Engineer’s Day is celebrated to recognise the contribution of engineers in the development of the nation.
******** End ********
★★★★ You Can Also Read ★★★★
|Computer Awareness Quiz Questions Set (Banking)|
|Read Daily Current Affairs Topic Wise|
|Daily Current Affairs Quiz (Current GK Test)|
|Static Gk Quiz Questions and Answers|