Justice Uday Umesh Lalit appointed as 49th Chief Justice of India – Justice Uday Umesh Lalit was appointed as the 49th Chief Justice of India with President Droupadi Murmu signing his warrant of appointment. Justice Uday Umesh Lalit will assume charge on August 27 as the 49th Chief Justice of India after incumbent N V Ramana demits office the day before.
- Justice Lalit will be the second CJI who was directly promoted to the apex court bench from the Bar.
- In 1971, Justice S M Sikri became the 13th CJI.
- Justice Lalit is a renowned senior advocate and was appointed a judge of the Supreme Court on August 13, 2014.
- He shifted his practice to Delhi in January 1986, and in April 2004, he was designated as a senior advocate by the apex court.
- He was also appointed a special public prosecutor for the CBI to conduct the trial in the 2G spectrum allocation case.
law ministry notification
“In exercise of the powers conferred by clause (2) of Article 124 of the Constitution of India, the President is pleased to appoint Shri Justice Uday Umesh Lalit, judge of the Supreme Court, to be the Chief Justice of India with effect from 27 August, 2022,”
******** End ********
★★★★ You Can Also Read ★★★★
|Computer Awareness Quiz Questions Set (Banking)|
|Read Daily Current Affairs Topic Wise|
|Daily Current Affairs Quiz (Current GK Test)|
|Static Gk Quiz Questions and Answers|