International Tiger Day 2021: History, Theme, and Significance
International Tiger Day is observed every year on July 29 to spread awareness on tiger conservation. this day is also called Global Tiger Day. Unfortunately, the tiger is one of the species that is nearing extinction.
International Tiger Day 2021: History
- In 2010, on this day several countries signed the agreement in the Saint Petersburg Tiger Summit, which was held in Russia. The agreement aims to create awareness about the decreasing tiger population globally and preserve the tigers’ natural habitat.
- Apart from this, the representatives also agreed to double the tiger population by the end of the year 2022.
International Tiger Day 2021: Theme
- The theme/Slogan for 2021 International Tiger Day celebration is – “Their Survival is in our hands”. in the last year, the day was observed in online mode due to COVID-19 and was celebrated by people with great enthusiasm across the world.
- India has successfully doubled the tiger population ahead of the 2022 target with the help of the Environment department.
International Tiger Day 2021: Significance
- As per the World Wildlife Fund (WWF), there are only 3900 wild tigers present in the world.
- White tigers, Brown tiger with black stripes, White Tiger with black stripes, and Golden tigers.
Extinct Tigers –
- Bali Tiger, Caspian Tiger, Javan Tiger, and Tiger Hybrids
For all the latest Updates, download PrepareExams App.