DRDO chief flagged off Varunastra
The DRDO Chairman Shri Satheesh Reddy Ji unveiled the 1st heavyweight torpedo Varunastra during a ceremony in Visakhapatnam Unit, Andhra Pradesh on 21st November 2020. it will be given to the Indian Navy.
- The NSTL (Naval Science and Technological Laboratory) has designed and developed Varunastra and NSTL has used 95% Indigenous contents to make it.
- Varunastra is a kind of Indian advanced anti-submarine Torpedo and it can be fired from Ships and as well as Submarines.
- It is capable to carry 250 Kilogram of the conventional warhead.
Varunastra Speed –
- 40 Knots or 74 Kms per hour
Varunastra weight –
- The weight of Varunastra is almost 1.25 tons
About Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) –
Founded – 1958
Headquarters – New Delhi